• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42866
  • Total Topics: 16075
  • Online Today: 1580
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: Firefox rated most vulnerable web browser  (Read 5678 times)

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
Firefox rated most vulnerable web browser
« on: 16. April 2009., 22:08:54 »

In a report that will surely start internet fires all over the world Secunia is reporting that Firefox is the most vulnerable web browser that is widely adopted on the market today.

"This year, Secunia published advisories for the four most widely used web browsers: Internet Explorer (IE), Safari, Opera, and Mozilla Firefox. 31 vulnerabilities were reported for Internet Explorer (IE 5.x, 6.x, and 7), including those publicly disclosed prior to vendor patch as well as those included in Microsoft Security Bulletins. Safari and Opera each had 32 and 30 vulnerabilities, whereas 115 vulnerabilities were registered for Firefox in 2008."

The vulnerabilities measures areas of a browser that requires a patch to fix a hole that could be exploited by a malicious user to take sensitive data from the end user.

It's an interesting contrast to the idea that people assumed that Firefox was the most web secure browser. According to this review Opera appears to be the safest but Microsoft and Apple's web browsers are not far behind.

Does this mean that you should switch your browser out of fear? Not so, the study does leave out the human element that the best defense is an educated user. If you are aware of what you are doing online and don't download bonzi buddy you are one step closer to a safer web experience.

Update: Mozilla have responded to the report and you can read their response here: http://blog.mozilla.com/security/2009/03/06/beware-the-security-metric/ Interestingly it appears Mozilla discloses all security issues whereas other vendors tend to keep them secret which would explain the big number differences.

(NeoWin)

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

Firefox rated most vulnerable web browser
« on: 16. April 2009., 22:08:54 »

haz

• SCF Advanced Member
Re: Firefox rated most vulnerable web browser
« Reply #1 on: 18. April 2009., 09:58:55 »
Thanks a lot samker for the "update" which I liked a lot more than the subject itself ! :)
But I guess Mozilla should have stated the number of the vulnerabilities reported only from external sources ( as the other vendors did ) so we can "compare" to them.
Its strange why they didn't include the "chrome" in the report !

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
« Reply #2 on: 18. April 2009., 17:56:17 »
Its strange why they didn't include the "chrome" in the report !

Probably reason is that Chrome isn't monitored all year (2008.), as I remember Chrome is launched later??

But I'm also surprised with FireFox (terrible) results...  :thumbsdown: 

vicio12

• SCF Newbie
« Reply #3 on: 18. April 2009., 22:26:57 »
hmmmm... IE 31 only? hmmm... i dont belive that...

zocker

• SCF Member
« Reply #4 on: 01. May 2009., 22:59:58 »
This is an disadvantage of open source, because all the bad gugs can sarch for vulnerabilities in the software.
I'm wondering why The Internet Explorer got such a great ranking ???.
The question is how many critical vulnerabilities each browser had. This would be a better indicator.

« Reply #4 on: 01. May 2009., 22:59:58 »

sparksss

• SCF Member
« Reply #5 on: 20. May 2009., 08:47:10 »
weird, me and all my friends use firefox, and i assumed every one does :)

s3ducx0n

• SCF Member
« Reply #6 on: 20. May 2009., 16:19:50 »
im trying Opera right now and leaving Firefox behind.. nyay..
i just surf the internet others suggest the opera, because its safe.. so... i tried it...as of now im starting to love it.. hahahahh..

« Reply #6 on: 20. May 2009., 16:19:50 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising