• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42869
  • Total Topics: 16078
  • Online Today: 3827
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: PC Issues (unable to install games, CRC errors on mounted images)  (Read 22282 times)

blodflekk

• SCF Advanced Member
  • And War, War Never Changes.....
This problem could be one for this section or one for the non-security related threads.
I have been having alot of problems with my games. For some reason I am unable to install any of them. I have had some PC trouble so reinstalled my OS (winXP Pro x86) I have the 500GB partitioned into 100GB for windows and 400GB for storage. I only formatted the windows partition. Since then I have been unable to install any of my games it is reporting CRC errors on mounted images on several of my games (is that even possible?) all of these images have worked just fine for me in the past. Also on the original DVD for Crysis it does this for me, which is a brand new game only been installed once and the disc is in perfect condition. I had thought viruses may of been the cause  so i scanned with several antivirus and antispyware apps, and removed a HEAP of malicious programs. I reinstalled again and still the same issues. I re-downloaded all of my apps again (i had the setups on DVD) thinking this was the cause, reinstalled again, rescaned the system and still presented with these CRC errors, what could be the cause of all this? maybe the viruses had damaged the images and so re-downloading them would fix the problem, but that doesnt explain Crysis not working and the images were backed up on DVD and an external HDD, so thats not possible.

What can I do?

Also my specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
4GB Dual Channel DDR2-800 RAM
nVidia 9600GT
Motherboard with Intel's P35-Express Chipset
~KING~

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

georgecloner

• SCF VIP Member
Hi blodfekk,

Are these games Legit?

If these games are installed from DVD/CDs there are two possible problems: 1. CD/DVD Damage (with scratch) or 2. CD/DVD Drive is already defective (try to replace).

If the games were dowloaded from the i-net then you got a bad download.

Regards,

GC.
Creativity is a mental and social process involving the generation of new ideas or concepts, or new associations of the creative mind between existing ideas or concepts.

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
Hi B.

I also don't understand what's happened here...

Did you try to fix registers with CCleaner, or Tune Up Utilities??

Anyway, it'll be good to provide us logs from Kaspersky and HJT: http://scforum.info/index.php/topic,734.0.html

Best Regards

S.

Samker

• SCF Administrator

I was forgot to say that GC have a right, mostly this problem occur because of mentioned reasons...

blodflekk

• SCF Advanced Member
Some games were downloaded, and others were legit paid for games, and all of my games HAVE been used in the past many many times with no issues, I had thought maybe there was an issue with the DVD drive, so I updated the firmware (drive runs alot better) but that still wouldn't explain the mounted images.... I have ran all kinds of registry cleaners (I always use them at least once a week) HiJackThis! and Kaspersky are both scanning and reporting no errors anymore.
~KING~

Samker

• SCF Administrator
Here are two interested text related to CRC Errors:

http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/hard-disk-crc.htm

http://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/fixing-crc-error/

Maybe this will help you to understand what cause problem.  ;)

Anyway don't worry SCF Team will continue to search for new solutions for you my friend.

Best Regards,

S.

blodflekk

• SCF Advanced Member
Thank you, I am really desperate to solve this problem. It feels like I have done everything I can to fix this. Anyway here is my HijackThis! log file.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 10:39:10 a.m., on 10/05/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\G-series Software\LGDCore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\pg2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorsvw.exe
C:\Program Files\PC Tools Disk Suite\DSService.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Performance Drivers\nvPDsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = :
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: IEVkbdBHO - {59273AB4-E7D3-40F9-A1A8-6FA9CCA1862C} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\ievkbd.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Launch LGDCore] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\G-series Software\LGDCore.exe" /SHOWHIDE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVP] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\avp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PeerGuardian] C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\pg2.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Banner Ad Blocker - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\ie_banner_deny.htm
O9 - Extra button: Web traffic protection statistics - {1F460357-8A94-4D71-9CA3-AA4ACF32ED8E} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\SCIEPlgn.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O16 - DPF: {3713F92E-2252-4A87-868E-C5F17704D4C6} (RockYou Image Uploader Control) - http://www.rockyou.com/RockYouImageUploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1241421680703
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1241421773421
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1\mzvkbd.dll,C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1\mzvkbd3.dll,C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1\adialhk.dll,C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1\kloehk.dll
O23 - Service: Kaspersky Internet Security (AVP) - Kaspersky Lab - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\avp.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Disk Suite (DiskSuiteService) - PC Tools Software - C:\Program Files\PC Tools Disk Suite\DSService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Performance Driver Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Performance Drivers\nvPDsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

--
End of file - 4509 bytes

I also forgot to mention that I have fully updated Windows, Every update is installed.
~KING~

blodflekk

• SCF Advanced Member
Not sure if this information is useful or not, but all these errors from all games keep speaking of this file "data2.cab" being corrupt or unavailable or not matching the setup file.
~KING~

georgecloner

• SCF VIP Member
B.

Please try to replace your CD/DVD Drive and test, updating the drive's firmware will not answer the problem. FYI, most firmware updates are applied only to upgrade its media reading and writing capabilities which applies to new released CD/DVD brands and media speed.

CRC Failure occurs only if you have a bad copy of CD's or bad copy of backups in archives(.zip, .rar, others).  Sometimes your Drive may read some media and sometimes don't, this is normal to most drives with poor optic reader due from frequent CD burns and old age.

Noticeably, the CDdrive is working fine due to reading medias and/or success writing to CD/DVD but that does not justify that it was 100% working. For this reason, your CD-copy may not be a good burn, the media maybe unreadable at the end.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

GC

Creativity is a mental and social process involving the generation of new ideas or concepts, or new associations of the creative mind between existing ideas or concepts.

blodflekk

• SCF Advanced Member
Thank you georgecloner, I was hoping it would not come to having to replace the drive, but if it has to be done then it has to be done.

But how does this relate to the mounted images giving me this error? these images were downloaded so it wouldnt be made by my faulty drive?
~KING~

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising