• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42872
  • Total Topics: 16081
  • Online Today: 3914
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: Several thousand credit card accounts exposed in cache search  (Read 3575 times)

georgecloner

• SCF VIP Member

An Australian IT worker has discovered a cache of 22,000 credit cards, according to a report by iTnews. The discovery was made thanks to the power of Google and its cache feature. However, the blame would land square on the head of the person responsible for the server security. iTnews reported that the cached directory contained 19,000 cards believed to be active.

The discovered information, including card numbers, expiration dates, names, addresses, and CVV codes, could be the result of an outdated card processing server, or a simple storage space used by criminals. Google has since taken measures to block the cache of the directory listing where the discovery was made.

iTnews said it viewed the entire listing, 22,000 cards in all, and said that 19,000 of them could be active. Most of the cards are owned by citizens in the U.S. and Britain.

The cards were a mix of Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Solo, Switch, Delta, and Cirrus accounts. The URLs for the cached directories included U.K. retailers of lab supplies, sporting goods, clothing, and more. This leads to the conclusion that if it wasn’t a storage of stolen accounts, it was a poorly secured payment processing server, or one that is no longer in use.

The person who discovered the cards, known only as “benjee”, told iTnews that the discovery came as the result of a Google Alert for a name.

“The alert started with a bunch of other numbers, so I went to the web page and it was just a virtual directory listing with a bunch of directories underneath and a load of files inside,” he explained.

“It looks like the site might have been a payment processing gateway that handled credit card transactions for a bunch of websites before it went belly-up.”

In an online post, benjee said he tried to contact Visa and MasterCard, as well as American Express, with little luck.

“I found on the internet 9,500 VISA numbers and 4,500 MasterCard numbers from a site that was incorrectly configured,” the post starts. “I called Visa who put me to the US, who then put me on hold, screw that. And I called MasterCard and the rude Yankee lady said it's not their business; I have to contact all of the issuing financial institutions. No way!”

Neither Visa nor MasterCard could be reached for comment. iTnews said the card details and other information were being handed over to the police for investigation.

{TheTechHerald}
Creativity is a mental and social process involving the generation of new ideas or concepts, or new associations of the creative mind between existing ideas or concepts.

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

F3RL

• SCF Advanced Member
Re: Several thousand credit card accounts exposed in cache search
« Reply #1 on: 26. March 2009., 09:38:31 »
This is a very serious problem of internet, but also strength of internet. We all should be careful of our personal information being shared on nowhere land.
well? understand ma bad English.

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

Re: Several thousand credit card accounts exposed in cache search
« Reply #1 on: 26. March 2009., 09:38:31 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising