• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42863
  • Total Topics: 16072
  • Online Today: 1471
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: Chinese pirates clone Windows XP, sorta... (Linux Ubuntu - Ylmf OS download)  (Read 13598 times)

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum

According to Download Squad, a group of Chinese pirates has moved on from their days of pirating Windows XP itself. Now, they've settled for just the look and feel. Ylmf OS is a version of Ubuntu that will make your head spin: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ylmf.org%2Findex.html&sl=zh-CN&tl=en
The OS looks very similar to Windows XP, using identical icons and a similar taskbar. It has Wine integration to allow for Windows based programs to run, supports Compiz effects, and comes with a lot of pre-loaded freeware (Firefox, OpenOffice.org, etc.), as you'd expect from a Linux distro.

This sort of distro could be an ideal way to shift a Windows user over to Linux, as the learning curve would be minimized, at least from the UI standpoint. Under the hood, Ylmf OS is still Linux and will not run Windows based applications natively (Wine still doesn't work for everything). For a detailed list of features, you can visit the Detailed Features page of their website: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://www.ylmf.org/about.html&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhglmGytL4t7o8ZNqkCQa6k9uk7-fA

One of the comments on Download Squad indicates that by using the "sudo locale-gen en-US" command after installation, he was able to change the language to English (which would explain why the picture below has English in it). If you're a Linux enthusiast or are interested in giving it a whirl, please do. Be sure to let us know how it goes in the comments. Download Squad also mentions some possible legal issues over the design, though many think that it won't be much of an problem, as the OS still runs a pure Linux kernel (not to mention that China's copyright laws are pretty non-existent).

(NeoWin)

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

haz

• SCF Advanced Member
I'm a linux user since about 2 years now, I tried several distros, and I should say, in these 2 years; some really major improvements happened, its as if the improvement curve is exponential ! I think Open source will play a major part in the future..
Thanks for the news, Long Live Linux ! :)

hazedaze

• SCF VIP Member
fairplay I used Linspire befor which was previously Lindows befor MS filed a lawsuit and subsequently bought the company as they know it would be a rival to it's XP platform!! Keep up the good work, I would like to see it from a reputble or souceforge based site but given the infringments I guess that will never happen!! ;D

Fireberg

• SCF Advanced Member
Speaking only for myself, I would prefer it if people stopped trying make linux look like Windows.

Let linux be linux!

Charles

Just installed it.
Porting over script in a few that allows you to access many underlying features like control panel ect.. and writing a pit of python to make it even nicer to get users into it without their actually realizing what I did when I repair their systems.
I just got laid off for the winter so I got time to burn :(

bevisjason

One thing that makes Linux stand out is its open source nature. Everything about Linux is free and accessible to anyone with a computer who wants to download the software and use it however they please. Whether you’re looking for information on how to use computers or wanting to distribute your own copy of the software, there’s no restriction on how you use these programs. drift hunters 5 letter words

Alexywasko

• SCF Newbie
I think it's interesting how the Chinese pirates have created an OS that closely resembles Windows XP, while still running on a Linux kernel. It could be a great way to introduce Windows users to Linux without too much of a learning curve. I wanted to bring up the issue of extended lifecycle support for operating systems. While Ylmf OS may be a fun experiment for some, it's important to consider the longevity of the software you use. If you're interested in running a stable and secure Linux distribution, you might want to check out tuxcare.com. They offer extended support for a variety of Linux distros, including Ubuntu, CentOS, and Debian.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising