• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42869
  • Total Topics: 16078
  • Online Today: 3665
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: Linux Distros  (Read 18557 times)

arvind79

• SCF Member
  • Knowledge is Wealth, Everything is for Good
    • http://mGinger.com/index.jsp?inviteId=4162716
Linux Distros
« on: 22. March 2010., 03:47:51 »
hi,

lot of known about linux operating system it has hundred flavours distributed worldwide through dvds and download. now tell me which flavour of linux is best for use daily use and security aspects.
Thanks & Regards

Aravindhan K

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

Linux Distros
« on: 22. March 2010., 03:47:51 »

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
Re: Linux Distros
« Reply #1 on: 22. March 2010., 09:18:29 »
There are many, many Linux distributions and a lot of unique reasons to like them, but my favorite is Ubuntu.

Ubuntu currently has the largest share of the Linux user base, thanks in large part to a user-friendly installation, a desktop designed to accomodate first-timers, and a rigorous new released schedule. Ubuntu also comes bundled with an extensive set of open-source software to cover the needs of first-time switchers, but also includes only truly free software  in its default installation, winning fans on both sides of the open-source aisle.

Download Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/

What is your opinion Arvin?

Which one you prefer?

haz

• SCF Advanced Member
« Reply #2 on: 23. March 2010., 07:48:52 »
I've been using "kubuntu" ( which is the same as Ubuntu but with a different GUI ) for over a year now, Im happy with its stability and usability, also I had no security problems at all, the distro is well updated regularly and you will not have any of the headaches that windows malware causes !
Of course im not saying that its exactly heaven, but one can tolerate some minor problems from time to time..
I understand you need it for your daily use, what will you use it mainly for ? office apps or media playing or web browsing ? or all of them ? :)

arvind79

• SCF Member
  • Knowledge is Wealth, Everything is for Good
    • http://mGinger.com/index.jsp?inviteId=4162716
« Reply #3 on: 24. March 2010., 03:07:02 »
hi,

i prefer fedora and opensuse is much updated with their community blogs. it has more secured i think
Thanks & Regards

Aravindhan K

krrjhn

• SCF Advanced Member
« Reply #4 on: 17. January 2011., 07:42:13 »
I prefer kubuntu and i also want to change it can someone give any advice that which should i prefer???

« Reply #4 on: 17. January 2011., 07:42:13 »

neerajrawat1

• SCF VIP Member
  • We believe in sharing is caring
    • Experts Galaxy
« Reply #5 on: 14. December 2014., 07:20:14 »
I liked Fedora as well but was my favorite distro but they have screwed the appearance now and its hard to travel the GNOME way.

I use multiple distros in my VM environment but planning to deploy CentOS & Debian in my desktop as a host and Fedora and Kali in laptops.

Ubuntu is famous because of its ease of use and I guess its the commercial version of Linux after Redhat.

jheysen

• SCF Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 14. December 2014., 14:19:11 »
Well, Ubuntu has a distinctive difference to RedHat, and that is that using the distro es 100% free (as opposed to RH), you only pay if you subscribe to Canonical's Support, like their Landscape Service for example.

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
« Reply #7 on: 14. December 2014., 18:08:48 »
If your hardware is 100% compatible with it... Try Linux Mint - I really, really like(d) that one. Though hardware support sometimes is a bit "off".

Devvie
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

neerajrawat1

• SCF VIP Member
    • Experts Galaxy
« Reply #8 on: 14. December 2014., 19:09:56 »
jheysen

I tried Ubuntu long time back when they used to send a free CD, I guess in 2008. I did not like it because it was more of a GUI and still the same. I thought of Linux as a command line tool lolz and thought better stick to Windows instead of Ubuntu though Redhat was the first Linux that I installed on my PC. I tried their latest LTS version and they improved the GUI a lot but can't say why I still don't like it, moreover I hate using the prefix sudo when m habitual of direct commands, atleast in a VM environment.

Still Ubuntu and Mint are famous because of ease of GUI, they are considered as good for newbies, can't say why they are not used by Linux Geeks as they pretend to be.

I meant to say commercial in terms of advertisement. Few months back they did something in their distro which was not appreciated by the Linux community. Can't say if they have removed the bloat or not.

@devnullius

I have 100GB (downloaded) of Linux ISOs as you know its free including the original ISO of PearOS and recently tried the mate version of mint as saw a customized installation of that. I keep on playing with different distros but did not like it that much along with latest open suse.

Above all I still prefer CentOS & Debian and both are recent replacements for RHEL & Fedora. Earlier, I was only using rpm based distros but Debian is a nice addition to the list.

neerajrawat1

• SCF VIP Member
    • Experts Galaxy
« Reply #9 on: 16. December 2014., 06:19:05 »
@ this is what I meant by commercial for Ubuntu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP8CNp-vksc

« Reply #9 on: 16. December 2014., 06:19:05 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising