• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42869
  • Total Topics: 16078
  • Online Today: 3760
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: windows network shows 169 address but it can connect to the internet  (Read 6788 times)

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
Yeah it's me again, from opposites world :(

I think I messed up my server with that free ashampoo tool the other day :(

sfc is ok . Removing devices & installing again doesn't work. Still to test: install intel network software instead of default Microsoft device drivers.

Problem: I suddenly couldn't connect to my Windows Server 2012 R2 any longer. I couldn't figured it out, all looked good and I was using a static IP address. Only after I set the IP to DHCP I found out why I wasn't connecting. A simple ping confirmed: though the server can access the internet (so IP should be ok), the IP address is not ok.

When set to DHCP, the IP address changes to the 169 private subnet. So somehow, somewhere, Ashampoo 'locked' my IP settings. Also interesting: when I removed the LAN devices (set to static IP), the static IP address would be remembered once the device was installed again. It should jump to DHCP as far as I can tell :s But not this time :(

I used TCP Optimizer (http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php), to no aveil. Regwarrior's Windows Repair All in One wouldn't properly work in normal mode, so I've  rebooted to safe mode with network. WR-AIO is now running but I'm afraid of the results... This is just so #$*(%&#$*(% strange. I'm open to suggestions - I don't want to re-install server again! :(

why can I connect to internet with 169.254 IP address? Why doesn't it receive a valid 192 subnet address??

Devvie
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

jheysen

• SCF Global Moderator
Did you check your hosts file? clear ARP caché?

DMShuman

• SCF Member
If your computer suddenly loses local and Internet connection, you may have been assigned an address in the 169.254.x.x IP address range. This is a common issue with computers that are set to Obtain An IP Address Automatically through the router via DHCP. If for whatever reason your computer cannot get an IP address automatically, it makes one up in the IP address range between 169.245.0.0 to 169.254.254.255. It uses this address range to reduce the likelihood it will conflict with other, valid, IP addresses on your network.

Fintech

• SCF VIP Member
Maybe NSA catch your server... ;D
Anyway, You can  check your host file first and  clear ARP caché like as @jheysen ask to you do!.... :up:

jheysen

• SCF Global Moderator
Got a silly idea.. NAT the NAT :p
Got a router there lying around?

DMShuman

• SCF Member
 Stop and start you DHCP service on your server....

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
Sorry, should have checked back sooner.

Well, I'm a dumb @#$

I was looking at the wrong network adapter; there was a hidden "ethernet'  (hidden: not really) adapter that was still assigned all correct static IP options. So that explained this impossible situation.

Problem that remained (I by now, again, installed a fresh server installation) was that remote desktop just wouldn't work.

I really start to get annoyed by windows server 2012 r2: most unstable OS to keep running if you plan to use it as a workstation :/ NO system restore, no repair commands will actually work :/
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

jheysen

• SCF Global Moderator
That's why I loved 2003 R2 :p

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
That's why I loved 2003 R2 :p

For once you'll find me in agreement here :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising