• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42869
  • Total Topics: 16078
  • Online Today: 3827
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: USB Autorun attacks against Linux  (Read 5409 times)

bartblaze

• SCF VIP Member
    • Blaze's Security Blog
USB Autorun attacks against Linux
« on: 08. February 2011., 17:38:51 »

Jon Larimer

Many people think that Linux is immune to the type of Autorun attacks that have plagued Windows systems with malware over the years. However, there have been many advances in the usability of Linux as a desktop OS - including the addition of features that can allow Autorun attacks. In this presentation, I'll explain how attackers can abuse these features to gain access to a live system by using a USB flash drive. I'll also show how USB as an exploitation platform can allow for easy bypass of protection mechanisms like ASLR and how these attacks can provide a level of access that other physical attack methods do not. The talk will conclude with steps that Linux vendors and end-users can take to protect systems from this threat to head off a wave of Linux Autorun malware.

Jon Larimer is a senior researcher on IBM's X-Force Advanced Research team. Jon has been working in the security industry for over 12 years at companies including Internet Security Systems, nCircle Network Security, and now IBM. He has been involved in an array of security fields such as penetration testing, vulnerability research, security software development, and malware analysis.

YouTube video demonstrating the attack: ShmooCon 2011: USB Autorun attacks against Linux
Feel free to follow me on Twitter: bartblaze

My weblog: http://bartblaze.blogspot.com/

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

« on: 08. February 2011., 17:38:51 »

haz

• SCF Advanced Member
Re: USB Autorun attacks against Linux
« Reply #1 on: 21. February 2011., 15:49:49 »
Thanks for the Video ( I almost saw all of it ! ), maybe a bit too advance for me but I got the general Idea..

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

Re: USB Autorun attacks against Linux
« Reply #1 on: 21. February 2011., 15:49:49 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising