• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42862
  • Total Topics: 16071
  • Online Today: 1329
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: The Pirate Bay Guilty; Jail for File-Sharing Foursome  (Read 6338 times)

georgecloner

• SCF VIP Member
The Pirate Bay Guilty; Jail for File-Sharing Foursome
« on: 17. April 2009., 16:07:01 »

Four men connected to The Pirate Bay, the world's most notorious file sharing site, were convicted by a Swedish court Friday of contributory copyright infringement, and each sentenced to a year in prison.

Pirate Bay administrators Fredrik Neij, Gottfrid Svartholm Warg and Peter Sunde were found guilty in the case, along with Carl Lundström, who was accused of funding the five-year-old operation.

In addition to jail time, the defendants were ordered to pay damages of 30 million kronor ($3.6 million) to a handful of entertainment companies, including Sony Music Entertainment, Warner Bros, EMI and Columbia Pictures, for the infringement of 33 specific movie and music properties tracked by industry investigators.

Sunde, The Pirate Bay's spokesman, announced the news over Twitter Friday morning before the verdict was official. He remained defiant, and offered comfort to supporters. "Stay calm — Nothing will happen to TPB, us personally or file sharing whatsoever. This is just a theater for the media."

The two-week trial, which ended March 2, was a joint civil and criminal proceeding that pitted the entertainment industry and the government against the four defendants, who each faced up to two years in prison. In addition, motion picture and record companies sought $13 million in damages for the 33 movies and music tracks at issue.

The verdicts are a significant symbolic victory for Hollywood, the record labels and the rest of the content industry that claims online piracy costs them billions of dollars in lost sales.

"The Pirate Bay has claimed all the time that their activities are legal," Henrik Pontén, a lawyer who represented the film and computer game companies in the trial, told the Swedish media. "Now that it has been proven illegal we presume that they will stop."

The Pirate Bay crew, though, has vowed to continue running the site whatever happens, and claims that it is secured from a forced shutdown through a network of distributed servers located outside Sweden.

For now, the attention brought by the highly-publicized trial has only made The Pirate Bay more popular. The site has swelled to some 22 million users. And thousands of Pirate Bay fans have flocked to sign up for its new $6 anonymization VPN service, which allows torrent feeders and seeders to conduct their business in private without leaving a trace of their internet IP addresses.

And since the trial began, membership in Sweden's copyright reform Pirate Party has grown 50 percent, while its youth affiliate is now the second largest in Sweden.

Even if The Pirate Bay is ultimately shuttered, dozens of other illicit BiTtorrent tracking services are easily accessible.

The defendants are expected to appeal, and they remain free pending further proceedings.

The defense largely hinged on an architectural point. Because of the way BitTorrent works, pirated material was neither stored on, nor passed through, The Pirate Bay's servers.  Instead the site merely provided an index of torrent files — some on its servers, some elsewhere — that direct a user's client software to the content.

But prosecutor Håkan Roswall argued successfully that the defendants were culpable anyway, citing past prosecutions of criminal accomplices. In a Swedish Supreme Court decision from 1963, he noted, a defendant who held a friend's coat while the friend beat someone up was considered culpable.

The verdict could shatter Sweden's reputation as a safe haven for content piracy, coming just weeks after a new law that took effect that allows content owners to force internet service providers to reveal subscriber data in piracy investigations.

But supporters of copyright reform hope that the trial will energize Swedish youth.

One minute after the judgment was public Friday, Sweden's Pirate Party issued a press release claiming: "The verdict is our ticket to the EU Parliament," referring to the election that takes place in the beginning of June.

The party's top candidate, Christian Engström, comments: "Sweden has now outlawed one of our most successful ambassadors. We have long been a leading IT nation but with these kind of actions we will be left behind and become dependent on other nations' arbitrary views".

Reached by e-mail after the verdict, defendant Gottfrid Svartholm Warg's sole comment was: "Like a dog!" —  the condemned Josef K's final words in Franz Kafka's The Trial.

In a web-only press conference held two hours after the verdict, Sunde was more upbeat, invoking Hollywood in explaining why he still believes The Pirate Bay's crew will ultimately prevail.

"We see this as a film," he said. "This is the first set-back for the heroes. ... In the end we know that the good guys will win, as in all movies."

{WIRED}
Creativity is a mental and social process involving the generation of new ideas or concepts, or new associations of the creative mind between existing ideas or concepts.

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

The Pirate Bay Guilty; Jail for File-Sharing Foursome
« on: 17. April 2009., 16:07:01 »

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
Re: The Pirate Bay Guilty; Jail for File-Sharing Foursome
« Reply #1 on: 17. April 2009., 18:18:17 »

In my opinion this's very bad news for the "Internet Freedom" and it could have far reaching consequences for the work of web browser such as Google and YouTube, because it could be prove to have been responsible for illegal file sharing on with them without the Internet pages.

Also, I would like to hear other SCF Members opinions about this case??

georgecloner

• SCF VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: 18. April 2009., 03:31:19 »
Well it does prove that illegal (illegal?) activities in the net is closely monitored by authorities, but in my opinion these things should not be the case (poor Pirate guys).  Those should be responsible for such damage are "Hackers" that completely annihilate every computer they can penetrate regardless as to enterprise or home.

I am also a torrent seeker and downloader ever since the Napster, this a very convenient way not to spend money only for personal use but do not intend to keep not sell.

"Why buy when you can get it for free!" So to speak.  :P

Right: "Internet Freedom"! we share information, movies, music, softwares, and others.
Creativity is a mental and social process involving the generation of new ideas or concepts, or new associations of the creative mind between existing ideas or concepts.

badangel

• SCF Newbie
« Reply #3 on: 18. April 2009., 07:01:46 »
Internet Freedom is one of our rights
How come in some counters windows CD price is 1 USD and other counters you have to pay 105 USD
VIVA for file sharing

haz

• SCF Advanced Member
« Reply #4 on: 19. April 2009., 13:08:10 »
These websites are sometimes the major factor in the popularity of some software, if all the people around the world were to pay the price for windows then linux would be much more popular.
sometimes I think the "leak" that happened with windows 7 is not an accident !
so I think the pirate bay wont die..
just an opinion ! :)

« Reply #4 on: 19. April 2009., 13:08:10 »

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
« Reply #5 on: 19. April 2009., 16:18:39 »
These websites are sometimes the major factor in the popularity of some software, if all the people around the world were to pay the price for windows then linux would be much more popular.
sometimes I think the "leak" that happened with windows 7 is not an accident !
so I think the pirate bay wont die..
just an opinion ! :)

I agree and have same feeling for some "leaking" Softwares...  :thumbsup:

HISNA

• SCF Member
« Reply #6 on: 24. April 2009., 10:18:19 »
Very interesting topic. Is the Internet a free speech platform or is it just a tool for businesses to make money? I think big business stifles many great ideas with the internet being one of them.

nsato

• SCF Member
« Reply #7 on: 02. June 2009., 08:35:55 »
We need to make Linux the #1 OS

stevebri

• SCF Member
« Reply #8 on: 30. June 2009., 20:33:46 »
Personally, I have always believed that the underlying thinking in the computing world needs to be changed.  For example, Microsoft office 2007 for students in the US is priced at 150.  To me paying 150 for anything I only use occasionally is pretty steep (that may be an upgrade price).  I know the programmers aren't seeing any percentage of this.  while they may get paid more at MS then elsewhere, They probably only make a 5 figure salary.  If things were cheaper, There wouldn't be software piracy.  IMHO.

« Reply #8 on: 30. June 2009., 20:33:46 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising