• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42872
  • Total Topics: 16081
  • Online Today: 4075
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: The best type of software firewall  (Read 35139 times)

Amker

• SCF Global Moderator
    • SCforum.info
The best type of software firewall
« on: 20. June 2007., 16:42:18 »
 There are two basic software firewalls: rule-based and non-rule-based. Non-rule-based are the easier of the two to install and configure, while rule-based offer the most flexibility.

These so-called "set it and forget it" firewalls, like Zone Alarm, provide very good inbound and outbound packet and application filtering, allowing only the traffic that you want/authorized. The drawback is that, in some cases, it is an all-or-nothing proposition. You either allow an application to access the Internet or your system, or you don't.

Rule-based firewalls, on the other hand, like Kerio or Norton Personal Firewall, offer you the ability to not only control what applications and services are granted access, but through which ports and what direction (in, out or both).

Another consideration is whether you want/need added functions such as ad, cookie, pop-up blocking and privacy measures. Many want a firewall to be just that, a firewall, no more, no less, while others prefer to have a more integrated security solution.

So, after weighing the options against your current needs and skills, you should choose the firewall that works for you. No matter your choice, there are many very skilled SCForum members here to help you ensure that your system is as secure as it can be. All you have to do is ask!
# Online Anti-Malware Scanners: http://scforum.info/index.php/topic,734.0.html

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

The best type of software firewall
« on: 20. June 2007., 16:42:18 »

madchip

• SCF Member
Re: The best type of software firewall
« Reply #1 on: 13. March 2010., 16:44:01 »
 :) best use for my case , if you have a old pc, use this pc for a firewall and install on hit ipcop => http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ipcop/wiki

madchip

• SCF Member
« Reply #2 on: 14. March 2010., 12:10:34 »
 ;D i forgot write ipcop, it's totally free  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
« Reply #3 on: 14. March 2010., 12:40:20 »
:) best use for my case , if you have a old pc, use this pc for a firewall and install on hit ipcop => http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ipcop/wiki

;D i forgot write ipcop, it's totally free  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, nice Tip.  :up:

alexrock23

• SCF Newbie
« Reply #4 on: 26. May 2010., 10:05:59 »
Really useful information has been post in this thread.There are too many variables to suggest that setting up any (software) firewall (on its own) to give 100% protection is possible, because it isn't. Setting up a firewall to give an 'optimum' level of protection which will adequately protect 95% of us however is easily achievable with a little time and a little knowledge. The knowledge can be obtained via Google, but if you don't have the time (or the inclination) then you must choose a multiple protection product like CIS, OA or PC Tools.....and pray! This is because even though such firewalls offer multiple levels of protection they still "recognize" certain other applications as "trusted" (namely Microsoft) which belong to the very category in which many of the vulnerabilities exist.

« Reply #4 on: 26. May 2010., 10:05:59 »

hkw

• SCF Member
« Reply #5 on: 21. September 2010., 17:38:44 »
Thanks for the information.

vaxile

• SCF Member
« Reply #6 on: 11. November 2010., 12:09:51 »
Thanks

alfiealvins

• SCF Newbie
« Reply #7 on: 10. December 2010., 00:24:01 »
Windows Firewall (Vista or Windows 7 only) are sufficient, but Windows XPfirewall monitors incoming traffic  alone.  A firewall must be bi-directional to be effective. So if you use Windows XP, I strongly recommend that third-party firewall instead of Windows XP firewall. I use and recommend Comodo free firewall.

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
« Reply #8 on: 10. December 2010., 06:02:59 »

I use and recommend Comodo free firewall.

I agree, Comodo provide quite good protection... more info's about Comodo: http://scforum.info/index.php/topic,764.0.html

jhonas

• SCF Member
« Reply #9 on: 08. January 2011., 07:43:21 »
Thanks for sharing this great information.

« Reply #9 on: 08. January 2011., 07:43:21 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising