• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42952
  • Total Topics: 16150
  • Online Today: 4651
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: Free configuration check tool on Dark Reading  (Read 3463 times)

MateoFerreira

• SCF Newbie
Free configuration check tool on Dark Reading
« on: 21. March 2012., 23:35:58 »
I came across this article today on Dark Reading. Anybody else read this? I'm thinking of downloading the free configuration tool mentioned but wanted to see if anybody else has tried it.

http://www.darkreading.com/vulnerability-management/167901026/security/vulnerabilities/232602900/simple-settings-that-could-curtail-some-attacks.html

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

Free configuration check tool on Dark Reading
« on: 21. March 2012., 23:35:58 »

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
Re: eEye - Free configuration check tool (download)
« Reply #1 on: 22. March 2012., 07:17:25 »
I came across this article today on Dark Reading. Anybody else read this? I'm thinking of downloading the free configuration tool mentioned but wanted to see if anybody else has tried it.

http://www.darkreading.com/vulnerability-management/167901026/security/vulnerabilities/232602900/simple-settings-that-could-curtail-some-attacks.html

Hi Mateo and Welcome to SCF Community.

It's very interesting article :thumbsup: :

"Organizations, especially those without the security resources to keep on top of these basic hygiene configurations, often leave themselves exposed as they struggle to keep track of the configurations. Even some large companies forget the little things or are so overwhelmed with volume that they miss them. "These little things -- not letting users download .exe files, or [not] using proxies for filtering, that don't impact the business in any way" basically raise the bar for the attacker, says Marc Maiffret, CTO and co-founder of eEye Digital Security.

So Maiffret says eEye later this week will roll out a free tool that runs a quick "health-check" on some key and simple-to-fix configuration best practices that can help shrink the attack surface. The so-called In Configuration We Trust Tool isn't meant to replace a vulnerability assessment, penetration test, or proper patch management programs, but instead to take the pulse of some of the basic protective steps in configuring a safer environment, Maiffret says.

The tool checks for 10 basic things you can do to properly configure your environment: use digitally signed running processes; use digitally signed DLLHost Services and egress port filtering; disable Microsoft Office converters; update Windows operating system with the latest releases; update Microsoft Office with the latest releases; remove administrative privileges from end user accounts; disable WebDAV; block direct downloads of executable files; and push egress traffic through a Web proxy. "

If I "find" some Free time, I'll test them during next Week. ;)

Please, provide us feedback if you decide to test them...

Regards,

Samker

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
Re: Free configuration check tool on Dark Reading
« Reply #2 on: 20. January 2013., 00:23:39 »
<IN EDIT>

Download White Paper & Configuration Tool here: http://go.eeye.com/icwt-thankyou

(and if I find some time, I'll test too ;))
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

Re: Free configuration check tool on Dark Reading
« Reply #2 on: 20. January 2013., 00:23:39 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising