• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42869
  • Total Topics: 16078
  • Online Today: 3666
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: virtumonde keeps invading my system  (Read 7340 times)

cobaltazule

• SCF VIP Member
virtumonde keeps invading my system
« on: 25. December 2007., 18:52:16 »
 Samker, I have a security question for scf's resident wizard.
I like to travel far and wide in my surfing the internet. I don't shy away from dangerous sites because my security is usually able to protect me. But there are a couple sites that always throw a virtumonde into my browser. It hasn't really been a problem as Spybot easily removes it when I scan. My question to you is there a way to immunize my system against reinfection?  I have norton 360 and spybot with teatimer but the virtumonde always seems to get through. I have many other anti-malware programs, but only the two I mentioned are running at any one time because I don't want to slow my system. Anyway, as I said, it is easily removed but it is a distraction to always have to rescan to check for it.
 I figured if anyone knew how to do this, you would.
 My best
 Robert

P.S. I have tried Ad-Aware, AVG, Super Anti-Spy, Kaspersky, Avast, Spyware Terminator, Norton 360, Spybot. They are all up-to-date yet virtumonde still gets through.

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

virtumonde keeps invading my system
« on: 25. December 2007., 18:52:16 »

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
Re: virtumonde keeps invading my system
« Reply #1 on: 25. December 2007., 21:43:06 »
Hi Robert,

interesting question, I must to admit. :thumbsup:

I have few theory about this and if you want (and have free time), maybe we could together investigate this? :police:

As I know, the most common methods of infection are:

1. through outdated versions of the Sun Java platform

2. manual installation or installation as a component of another program

So Robert check this things:

1. Check configuration of your Norton AutoProtection, did you Turn On protection from PUP (Potential Unwanted Program, adware/spyware/dialer ...) or your autoprotection only work for hard infections like viruses, trojans, worms.

2. Check is it your JAVA Up to date (Control Panel ...)

3. Think about possibility that you by your self install infection as a component of some other program

4. Do you have firewall, by the way ?

I'll think about this more tomorrow night.

P.S.

So sorry if I make to much grammatic mistakes, you know that my English isn't quite good.  ;D

One more things, I hope that you know that we open competiton for Moderators at SCforum? What do you think about that position?  :bih:

I was move this Topic to Help Center since we clean other boards from outdated posts etc.

cobaltazule

• SCF VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: 26. December 2007., 07:26:25 »
Hi Samker
Good to hear from you so soon!
 Your ideas intrigued me so I am getting right on it and will respond soonest.
Your English is fine(I wish I could speak other languages).
About moderator-interesting.
About moving topic-fine. I wasn't sure if I had posted to the right spot.
Yes, I was thinking last night about the human body and how once it faces a virus it builds an immunity to it. Why not computers??? I am puzzled by that and how to achieve the same thing.
All my best
Robert

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 26. December 2007., 08:36:53 »
Your English is fine(I wish I could speak other languages).

Thank You!  :)

Yes, I was thinking last night about the human body and how once it faces a virus it builds an immunity to it. Why not computers??? I am puzzled by that and how to achieve the same thing.

Interesting, I think that some AV, at least McAfee (my favorite), have advanced real time scanning for "Heuristic" (Unknown) threats.

About moderator-interesting.

Soon, I'll send you PM with more details.  ;)

cobaltazule

• SCF VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: 29. December 2007., 03:33:21 »
dear samker
I have contacted the forum of safer networking(spyboy s&d). they're curious too. It seems to me an application is waiting to made and profited from. As it stands right now there is no program(not even mcafee) which can immunize against something you involuntarily or unknowingly click on.
The closest thing to prevent problems such as I've described is either "Mcafee Site Advisor" which analizes the site you may wish to visit and warns you if the site has beed reported as a source of malware OR "crawler" which comes from the people of spysweeper..Crawler is as effective as Mcafee but contains far more tracking cookies.
I'll stay on this and give you info as it comes to me
your friend
Robert

« Reply #4 on: 29. December 2007., 03:33:21 »

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 29. December 2007., 20:03:14 »
I'll stay on this and give you info as it comes to me

:thumbsup:

P.S.

Robert,

did you receive PM from me (Moderator question), I still wait for your reply about that? ;)

cobaltazule

• SCF VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: 31. December 2007., 01:35:28 »
samker
yes I did but am confused. I would love to help but I am not sure how my limited knowledge would be useful to you. Please tell me more.
 As for the question about "immunization", I am still working on it. I have consulted with a friend about it, We envision something similar to Mcaffee Site Advisor, but with a difference. Instead of only a warning the program would warn you AND give option to enter the dangerous site with temporarily raised firewall settings
I am sorry about my lateness in reponding but as much as I like to spend time browsing, the real world and family keep me occupied.
About moderator, I am interested but must know more.
Also I have an idea but I dont know which would be the appropriate page to post it on. I would like to start a post on the available free anti malware out there as well as other free utilities such as uninstallers,registry cleaners, data recovery and the such. Would it be ok an if so where should I do it?
As always, your friend
Robert

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 31. December 2007., 07:43:29 »
I am sorry about my lateness in reponding but as much as I like to spend time browsing, the real world and family keep me occupied.

I understand you. :angel: I also have full time job and little daughter (4 months). But this (scForum) is more like a hobby.

Also I have an idea but I dont know which would be the appropriate page to post it on. I would like to start a post on the available free anti malware out there as well as other free utilities such as uninstallers,registry cleaners, data recovery and the such. Would it be ok an if so where should I do it?

Of course it's Ok, just try to use proper category, for example:

- for free utilities such as uninstallers,registry cleaners, data recovery ... use Other Anti-Malware & Anti-Hacker protection http://scforum.info/index.php/board,15.0.html

- for discussion about using some tolls use General Security Discussions http://scforum.info/index.php/board,17.0.html

- and if you want to present some AntiVirus, Firewall, AntiSpyware ... use same main category

Anyway we have possibility to move posts, so we can fix any "mistake" without problem.  ;)

About moderator, I am interested but must know more.

Will send you next PM with all other informations.  :)

manual2100

• SCF Member
« Reply #8 on: 12. October 2010., 12:11:49 »
try spybot search and destroy.. it removes some virtumonde variants

« Reply #8 on: 12. October 2010., 12:11:49 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising