• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42866
  • Total Topics: 16075
  • Online Today: 1580
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: Windows 7 - oops they did it again...  (Read 6758 times)

energyx3

• SCF Newbie
Windows 7 - oops they did it again...
« on: 23. April 2009., 16:39:04 »

I don't mean to be a cynic but ...

If you're hoping that Windows 7 will bring dramatic changes to Windows, you may well be disappointed. More and more evidence shows that Windows 7 may only be the equivalent of a Vista SP2.

Microsoft is largely remaining silent about what will be in Windows 7, but it looks as if no major changes are in the offing. As I wrote in my blog yesterday, Microsoft has said that it's not developing a new kernel for Windows 7, and it has said that the hardware, software, and peripherals that work with Vista will also work with Windows 7.

Microsoft has said that Windows 7 will include something called pervasive multi-touch. That's a fancy way of saying that you'll be able to run the operating sytem and its underlying applets via a touch screen.

That certainly doesn't get me excited. Microsoft has been touting touch screens and pen computing for as far back as I can remember, and no one seems to care. Sure, it will help with specialized applications, but for most business and home users, it simply doesn't matter.

Windows 7 will also ship with a new version of Internet Explorer, but that's on the drawing board anyway, and isn't necessarily tied to the operating system.

No doubt, there will be other changes as well. But if the kernel isn't being rewritten, and if all existing Vista hardware and software will work with Windows 7, there's a good chance you won't see any major changes to Windows.

Windows XP SP2, you may recall, added considerable new features to XP. It finally gave a firewall to Windows, introduced a pop-up blocker, introduced better wireless access and security, and more.

Those are all very significant changes --- and it's not clear that Windows 7 will offer as many new features as even SP2 did for XP.

So why bother giving the new version of Windows a new name, instead of calling it a Service Pack? Because Vista has gotten a tremendous amount of bad press, and this will be a way for Microsoft to put that behind it.

I hope that I'm wrong, and that we'll see plenty of new features in Windows 7. After all, we're still about a year-and-a-half away from shipping. But the signs right now don't look good.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/is_windows_7_really_vista_sp2_in_disguise

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

Windows 7 - oops they did it again...
« on: 23. April 2009., 16:39:04 »

hmtilford

• SCF Member
Re: Windows 7 - oops they did it again...
« Reply #1 on: 23. April 2009., 22:10:40 »
I don't care what it is or how its branded.  All I care about is it about performance.  Windows 7 without a doubt its lightning fast ( beta version at least ).  More so than Vista and fairly stable.  I think its going to be a major difference in people with the same hardware. 

But you are right though things could change for the worse, one small annoyance is you can't customize the start menu as well and no address bar... Grrrrrrrrrr

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
« Reply #2 on: 23. April 2009., 22:44:49 »

Windows 7 without a doubt its lightning fast ( beta version at least ).  More so than Vista and fairly stable.  I think its going to be a major difference in people with the same hardware. 

I'm a little bit confused right now about Win. 7 performances, reason is GeorgeCloner and yours comments: http://scforum.info/index.php/topic,2656.0.html

My system is now running Win7-Beta.

"BUT" you will notice that my system memory usage is too way high (1.3Gb!) unlike in a normal XP system!  thumbsdown

I hope that the new W7-RC will be far more different eating up all these resources.

georgecloner

• SCF VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: 24. April 2009., 11:37:54 »
Don't be confused Sam. WIN 7 is still beta and that's the reason it is still buggy until we can get a hand of the final release!

Boot-up and shutdown is lightning fast! ;D

Last time in my post(showed a desktop snapshot), I had my system running on Win7 Beta5057 OS. Initially after logging 700MB was already in use by the system including Mcafee VScan. Working on with Photoshop CS4 and opened atleast 4 .psd files. Browsing the internet (SCFORUM) using firefox. And that was it, not much multi-tasking but my system's memory was used at 1.37GB!

My PC is running new:
-Intel Core2Duo CPU @3.0Ghz E8400
-MSI P45 NEO3-FR
-2GB Kingston RAM DDR2-800 on Dual Channel Mode
-NVIDIA 9600GT GPU 256-bit 512MB DDR3
-320GB WD HardDrive SATA

I was expecting it was a good choice WIN7 among others with this hardware but it was a heartbreaker. I already trashed my WIN7 System Installation and had my PC reformat and install with WinXP+SP3 instead. I guarantee this is more stable.  :thumbsup:

I am not that satisfied working with WIN7 eats too much memory resources! Explorer.exe crashes frequently (only solution is to reboot)! Hardware driver compatibility issues (esp. with printer & scanner)!

Well I had a taste with it... ;D. And I still be willing to try the new ones coming -- only with the "final release" of course. :thumbsup:
Creativity is a mental and social process involving the generation of new ideas or concepts, or new associations of the creative mind between existing ideas or concepts.

georgecloner

• SCF VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: 24. April 2009., 15:47:44 »
To those people who want to know more about WIN7, click link below:

"Seven things to love, hate about Windows 7 "

http://www.networkworld.com/slideshows/2009/011509-win-love-hate.html
Creativity is a mental and social process involving the generation of new ideas or concepts, or new associations of the creative mind between existing ideas or concepts.

« Reply #4 on: 24. April 2009., 15:47:44 »

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
« Reply #5 on: 24. April 2009., 21:52:12 »
Don't be confused Sam. WIN 7 is still beta and that's the reason it is still buggy until we can get a hand of the final release!

I understand probably this BETA status is main reason...  :thumbsup:

had my PC reformat and install with WinXP+SP3 instead. I guarantee this is more stable.  :thumbsup:

I doubt that I'll also change this soon... except for SP4.   ;D ;)

F3RL

• SCF Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: 25. April 2009., 10:53:48 »
Microsoft is loosing their customers, in theory.

Shame.

P.S. I still prefer XP with SP3 since it added extended security hole fixes.
well? understand ma bad English.

zahdab

• SCF Member
« Reply #7 on: 30. September 2009., 17:55:44 »
this should've been a free upgrade for vista users ... they've been ripped off

kingprawn

• SCF Member
« Reply #8 on: 30. September 2009., 17:59:54 »
The final version of Windows 7 is really good. I prefer it to Vista

« Reply #8 on: 30. September 2009., 17:59:54 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising