• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42869
  • Total Topics: 16078
  • Online Today: 3318
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: Appearance on my android phone & slowness  (Read 10855 times)

Danielx64

• SCF VIP Member
    • Danielx64
Appearance on my android phone & slowness
« on: 08. January 2017., 09:28:28 »
My only issue is that this forum doesn't really display that nice on my android phone. Also it seens to be slow for me some reasons.

Update:

Via pm I provided screenshots about how the forums look on my phone. being honest it just doesn't look pretty.

I am finding that I need to do an awful lot of scrolling- not just up and down but sideways. Also topics are hard to read as well - like the below image:

Now that only the first post, when you get down to having quotes it start to get to the point where things become unreadable.

Now there is 2 ways that this issue can be fixed - try and fix the SMF theme, something that I wouldn't be able to help too much with (as I don't have the skills to deal with SMF themes) or there is an option of switching to another forum software. I know that may sound crazy just for one thing but I will leave some reasons why switching it not always a bad thing.

First up a small disclaimer, I'm a co-author of php-bbdr a fork of phpBB.

With that disclaimer out of the way, there is some advantages to switching

- The default theme is completely responsive: no matter what device you are on the theme will adjust to suite the screen size
-Nicer looking urls: Instead of having a url that looks like (http://scforum.info/index.php?topic=12704.msg33822;boardseen#new) it would look like http://scforum.info/?topic-hello-all-12704.

Last thing that I would touch on, not sure if you guys would make use of it but emoji are supported.

So to sun it up I just wanted to leave my comments about how this forum shows up on a android phone :)

Even if you decide not to switch I would still provide pictures on how things shows up on my phone :)

Edit: I found I have I have to go into code mode to clean up all the mess that was created while editing this post.

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

Appearance on my android phone & slowness
« on: 08. January 2017., 09:28:28 »

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
Re: Appearance on my android phone & slowness
« Reply #1 on: 08. January 2017., 12:07:26 »
My only issue is that this forum doesn't really display that nice on my android phone. Also it seens to be slow for me some reasons.

Pal,

Thank you very much for the feedback. :thumbsup:

Until you provide more detailed comment and screenshots (as We agreed in conversation via PM ;) )... I'll try to explain situation with periodic slowness.

The main reason is that We changed hosting before few Weeks: http://scforum.info/index.php?topic=8415.msg21612#msg21612 and that I, because of my full time job and private life, don't have enough free time to "tweek everything on the right way". :-/

I promise, I'll finish that, ASAP. :police:

---

Regarding first thing, I'm waiting for your next reply or edit... also, comments from other members are welcomed.

cya later,

S.

Danielx64

• SCF VIP Member
    • Danielx64
« Reply #2 on: 09. January 2017., 08:44:21 »
Hi Sam (not sure if you like being called that),

I've updated my first post and I also provided an extra image on how a topic is viewed :)

Thank you :)

Also the forum is not too bad now :)

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
« Reply #3 on: 10. January 2017., 20:20:11 »
Hi again Daniel,

As you probably noticed till now, English isn't my first language... and because of that I have some difficulties when need to write little bit longer replies... I'm sorry for all the past and future mistakes and misunderstandings. :-\

---

Regarding your comment about displaying on smartphones - I must to admit that I totally agree with You and that is one of the must to do things - however, it'll need to wait until I get little bit more of free time. Right now, I work for two companies and here is even more important detail: http://scforum.info/index.php?topic=11683.msg31870#msg31870
(Also, the most of our members still browses site via PCs - cca 95%.)

FYI, the main reason for bad displaying isn't "Simple Machines" forum, instead of it, problem is with "Tiny Portal": http://www.tinyportal.net - which We must to use because of a huge number of other benefits and functionalities.

---

As you correctly presume, changing SMF isn't option at the moment... however, I want to congrats on your work and wish you huge success. Also, since you're expert in your field - from now on, you'll have VIP membership. :police:   

Thank you for understanding... also, I hope that you'll become active member of our Community.

cya around,

Samker

P.S.

---

Also the forum is not too bad now
:)

I'm glad that you notice that - since I finished 90% of necessary tweeks during a Weekend. ;)

Danielx64

• SCF VIP Member
    • Danielx64
« Reply #4 on: 11. January 2017., 09:19:17 »
Hi again Daniel,

As you probably noticed till now, English isn't my first language... and because of that I have some difficulties when need to write little bit longer replies... I'm sorry for all the past and future mistakes and misunderstandings. :-\

It's all good, I deal with people who English is not their first language before so it not new to me before :)

[/size]

Regarding your comment about displaying on smartphones - I must to admit that I totally agree with You and that is one of the must to do things - however, it'll need to wait until I get little bit more of free time. Right now, I work for two companies and here is even more important detail: http://scforum.info/index.php?topic=11683.msg31870#msg31870
(Also, the most of our members still browses site via PCs - cca 95%.)

FYI, the main reason for bad displaying isn't "Simple Machines" forum, instead of it, problem is with "Tiny Portal": http://www.tinyportal.net - which We must to use because of a huge number of other benefits and functionalities. [/size]

That's fair enough- I understand that you have 2 different jobs (it's the same with me as well).

[/size]

As you correctly presume, changing SMF isn't option at the moment... however, I want to congrats on your work and wish you huge success. Also, since you're expert in your field - from now on, you'll have VIP membership. :police:   

Thank you for understanding... also, I hope that you'll become active member of our Community.

cya around,

Samker

P.S.

---

Also the forum is not too bad now
:)

I'm glad that you notice that - since I finished 90% of necessary tweeks during a Weekend. ;)

Thank you for the kinds words. I understand that switching from SMF is not an option: every forum is different :). Thank you for the VIP pass and yes I will be active when I am able to :)

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

« Reply #4 on: 11. January 2017., 09:19:17 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising