• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42939
  • Total Topics: 16139
  • Online Today: 4088
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: How to Make Windows 7 Installs Easy  (Read 9712 times)

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
How to Make Windows 7 Installs Easy
« on: 15. September 2009., 21:40:48 »

Locating your data in the proper place can save a lot of Windows 7 upgrade headaches.

I'd hate to think exactly how many times I've installed some version of Windows 7 since its debut back at Microsoft PDC 2008. There was the Windows 7 pre-public beta (that didn't have the new UI and menu bar), the Windows 7 public beta, the Windows 7 RC and the Windows 7 RTM. On my daily use laptop alone I've installed each of these Windows 7 versions, some more than twice. Then there's all the Windows 7 installations I've done under Hyper-V and on test machines prior to using them myself. So let's conservatively say I've probably installed Windows 7 at least 8 or 10 times (but it's probably more like 15 or 20.)

Now Microsoft is saying it can take anywhere from a half hour to 20 hours to install a fresh copy or do an upgrade in place, respectively. If you are upgrading from XP, well, you've probably got the longest road ahead of you and frankly would probably be better off doing a fresh install in my opinion anyway. When I can, I'll go the fresh install route most times.

There are ways you can make the fresh install time shorter, particularly when it comes to getting all your apps and configurations in place. The most important to do is keep all of your data on a separate partition (or drive) from the Windows OS. I mean put EVERY BIT OF YOUR DATA on a separate partition, including your Documents folder, Downloads, Outlook PST and OST files, favorites, music files, videos, pictures... all of the folders normally under my documents. If you were to drill down into my user folder on the C drive of Windows 7, you'd find all of those folders (Downloads, My Documents, My Pictures, etc.) empty because they've been relocated to a separate data partition. If you're in a little larger company, that data can be located on the company's Windows file server with local copies on your computer, though they may not want all your music files (and everybody else's) eating up server file space.

Most applications will place data in your documents folder, but some like to be tricky and put it buried next to their own app folders, so check this when you install the application and relocate the folder to your data partition, placing a shortcut where they kept the folder. Most apps these days deal with that just fine. Also check within the app itself for a setting that lets you change where data and other files live.

With a separate data partition, installing a fresh OS (Windows 7 or otherwise) is now a much easier proposition. Install the OS, repoint My Documents, etc., to the data partition where they live, install the apps and also repoint them to the data partition, etc. Some applications, like Outlook, are a bit more involved. After Outlook finishes installing, go into the control panel, open up Mail, and create a data file reference pointing to where your PST and OST file(s) live on the data partition, and make the appropriate data file the default.

Windows 7 actually has a new feature that makes all of this even easier, Libraries. You can learn more about Libraries by reading Windows 7 Feature Focus: Libraries: http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/44705

Also note that if you don't have a separate partition setup to house your data (or a separate drive), the best time to do it is during or right after the Windows 7 install. Most computers come with some pretty hefty disk space these days so during install make your Windows 7 primary partition around 80GB and then make a separate data partition with the remaining space. You'll want a lot of disk space for your data partition, particularly if it's storing mp3, video and image files from your My Music, My Video and My Pictures folders. Another good time to do this is right after the OS install, by dropping into the Disk Management portion of Computer Management within Administrative tasks. Shrink your Windows 7 primary partition and then create a new data partition. This can be tricky to do if your OS isn't a freshly installed OS (especially under Vista) so I'd recommend doing this right away after installing or go back and create the partitions during installation.

(PCW)

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

How to Make Windows 7 Installs Easy
« on: 15. September 2009., 21:40:48 »

mindfrost82

• SCF Member
Re: How to Make Windows 7 Installs Easy
« Reply #1 on: 30. September 2009., 15:51:59 »
I tend to make this a habit since it can be so easy to lose data.  It is also important to try to backup everything you can.

You don't necessarily need Libraries either.  You can right click on the Documents, Pictures, Music, etc folder and move them to a new folder on your Data drive.  This works just as easy.

kingprawn

• SCF Member
« Reply #2 on: 30. September 2009., 17:32:30 »
I have installed Windows 7 x64 and i am very happy with it.

perico

• SCF Member
« Reply #3 on: 02. October 2009., 20:02:19 »
windows 7 x86 and it's a very good OS.better than Vista.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

low

• SCF Member
« Reply #4 on: 03. October 2009., 06:37:54 »
I hope someone can help me with this:

How exactly do you point or direct the apps to where their files are at? For example how do I place my "My Documents" folder in a separate drive from C:?

« Reply #4 on: 03. October 2009., 06:37:54 »

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
« Reply #5 on: 03. October 2009., 07:28:09 »
I hope someone can help me with this:

How exactly do you point or direct the apps to where their files are at? For example how do I place my "My Documents" folder in a separate drive from C:?

Hi, I'm afraid that I don't understand your question.

Can you please explain your problem better?

Do you want to copy "My Documents" to another place or you want to install New programs to some other place than Program files??

Regards,

S.

Also, please open New Topic, related to your question, in SCF "PC Help Center": http://scforum.info/index.php?action=forum

nestxp

• SCF Newbie
« Reply #6 on: 14. October 2009., 01:27:00 »
i have windows 7 lite x86 and no poblem for the moment, i'm using mayoral unnatended version

fireballgonzales

• SCF Member
« Reply #7 on: 14. October 2009., 07:46:59 »
I believe you can use powertoys from microsoft to change the default directories for My Documents and what not.

Dont know if this works for all windows' versions, but i have used it on winxp, i changed the location of My Documents to D: for space purposes.

Please let us know if this solves your question

low

• SCF Member
« Reply #8 on: 14. October 2009., 11:09:22 »
I believe you can use powertoys from microsoft to change the default directories for My Documents and what not.

Dont know if this works for all windows' versions, but i have used it on winxp, i changed the location of My Documents to D: for space purposes.

Please let us know if this solves your question

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit, I managed to change the Music directory to D: by just tinkering with the Favourite Links tab. Still unsure how should I change my user folder though, since it contains many of my application data and stuff. I'm afraid it might stop many programmes from functioning properly..

« Reply #8 on: 14. October 2009., 11:09:22 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising