• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42869
  • Total Topics: 16078
  • Online Today: 3869
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: PC Performance Improvement  (Read 11034 times)

kirangampala

• SCF Member
PC Performance Improvement
« on: 19. July 2009., 05:45:56 »
Hi,

Can you please share me some tips on how to improve the efficiency and performance of PC?

Thanks,
Kiran.

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

PC Performance Improvement
« on: 19. July 2009., 05:45:56 »

danbsfc

• SCF Member
Re: PC Performance Improvement
« Reply #1 on: 03. August 2009., 16:14:06 »
Disable some services that you dont require. BUT BE CAREFUL, only disable ones that you dont need. Just read each one carefully. Ive disabled nearly all of these on the list and now have a PC with 256mb ram running perfectly even with anti virus!

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1036/windows-xp-list-of-services-to-disable-to-increase-speed/

dimmortal

• SCF Member
« Reply #2 on: 05. August 2009., 02:54:57 »
there are many things u can do....
defrag your drive...(i use diskeeper pro premire 2009)
check for any malware/spyware/virus ect. ....these can put even the most powerfull pc into a sluggsh p.o.s.
remove any bloatware/trialware that might have come with your pc preinstalled
keep your os updated..
and yes disable any processes you dont need running(as said above)

Patto

• SCF Member
« Reply #3 on: 07. August 2009., 08:44:33 »
Use CCleaner to remove tons of unneeded garbage from your computer. (Configure Cookies-to-keep first, so you won't lose your login cookies.)

Use Startup Inspector to disable unneeded startup items. (Click Consult to get some info on many startup items.)

Defrag.

s4ck

• SCF Newbie
« Reply #4 on: 07. August 2009., 15:50:16 »
if you use winxp usually a good antivirus (McAffe), zone alarm, AdwareSE, these programs will help you check the proper functioning of your pc

« Reply #4 on: 07. August 2009., 15:50:16 »

splur

• SCF Member
« Reply #5 on: 10. August 2009., 20:50:31 »
This goes against everything this forum is about... but finding the right antivirus and firewall (not norton, mcafee enterprise or kaspersky might do you some good) can really help your performance.  I prefer none at all, but that's obviously not as safe.

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
« Reply #6 on: 10. August 2009., 21:18:59 »
This goes against everything this forum is about... but finding the right antivirus and firewall (not norton, mcafee enterprise or kaspersky might do you some good) can really help your performance.  I prefer none at all, but that's obviously not as safe.

This is one interesting opinion and questions:

1. Do you prefer/want "strong" protection and "slower" PC

2. Or you prefer/want "weak" protection and "faster" PC

I don't have any doubts and chose No.1, but i would also like to hear more opinions??

splur

• SCF Member
« Reply #7 on: 11. August 2009., 01:43:53 »
This is one interesting opinion and questions:

1. Do you prefer/want "strong" protection and "slower" PC

2. Or you prefer/want "weak" protection and "faster" PC

I don't have any doubts and chose No.1, but i would also like to hear more opinions??
I think it depends on past experiences with viruses and security.  Obviously someone who has had problems in the past will choose stronger protection, or even someone who wants to be on the safe side.

I have a virusscan set up on my main computer, but my laptop has always had serious problems with background processes such as firewalls and virusscans (because it's a piece of junk), so I don't have anything on it.  Never had a problem on it.

acetone

• SCF Newbie
« Reply #8 on: 11. August 2009., 14:50:15 »
Hi,

Can you please share me some tips on how to improve the efficiency and performance of PC?

Thanks,
Kiran.

My pc maintenance utilities are as follows:
Avira Antivir for virus scans
MBAM and Super AS for anti-malware scans
I run scans once a week with the above applications.

Windows built-in utility for disk cleanup. You can also use ccleaner if need be, but I've not found that the native utility works pretty well too.

Diskeeper 2009 professional for filesystem defragmentation. Excellent utility that does deep defrags (system files etc) and runs nicely in automatic background defrag mode.

ProcessExplorer for checking up on background processes.

splur

• SCF Member
« Reply #9 on: 11. August 2009., 16:16:49 »
Diskeeper 2009 professional for filesystem defragmentation. Excellent utility that does deep defrags (system files etc) and runs nicely in automatic background defrag mode.
+1 for diskeeper, especially if you keep your harddrive defragged and use boot time defrag.  IFAAST also does wonders at times, although you have to judge whether your computer is good enough to handle background processes.

« Reply #9 on: 11. August 2009., 16:16:49 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising