• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42869
  • Total Topics: 16078
  • Online Today: 3451
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: [Q] Windows 8 & 8.1: how to see wifi link connection speed rate??  (Read 6145 times)

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
Today I noticed something strange. Actually, I noticed it before but only looked at in detail today.

Usually, in the old Windows days... I would hoover my mouse over my wifi connection icon in the system tray. A yellow pop-up would tell me at which speed my wifi connector was connected. I could also see it in Task Manager with network connections.

But in Windows 8 you cannot easily find this information! Only network strength is shown (with the bars). But 5 bars on a 1Mb connected 300Mb wifi adapter will do squad with your 60Mb internet!

Strangely enough, not many people seem to ask this question. All I could find was this article: http://forums.legitreviews.com/about39944.html . Only solution given is going to the command prompt and typing... :s

cmd.exe
netsh wlan show all

Receive rate (Mbps) : 144
Transmit rate (Mbps) : 144
Signal : 63%

But that answer is WRONG*. These numbers only seem to say what your adapter is capable off. When I double checked with WirelessMon Professional (torrent gave me version 4.0.1007) showed my actual speed was 36Mbit/s... Not 54 (what is should be with me).

Maybe one should do calculus? In my case 79% of 54Mb? :|

Does anyone know of a (free) windows tool that shows the windows 8 wireless connection speed? Something quick. Something that does NOT involve client/server based solutions ;p (QUOTE: 'The best (free) way to test network speed/throughput is using "iPerf" or "jPerf"')

For now, I'll stay with the official "solution"... http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/GetArticle.aspx?docid=810e021f443a43779294b05bd6b5bedc_3967.xml&pid=80&converted=0#win8

... Karma!

Devvie

~~~ notemail@facebook.com ~~~

Conare nullius momenti videri fortasse missilibus careant
——
All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the GNU General Public License! – (© 95-1 by Coredump; 2-013 by DevNullius)

* I tried to update the thread, but their registration question was impossible to answer (I tried 11, 14, 20, 10)... Intel Skymont Processors Come in 2016 and are the die shrink of Skylake processors. What processor node will they be made on in nm? --> if you know, be sure to let me know :>
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
Re: [Q] Windows 8 & 8.1: how to see wifi link connection speed rate??
« Reply #2 on: 30. November 2013., 13:28:16 »
STRANGE, isn't it??

:down:

devnullius
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

jheysen

• SCF Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 30. November 2013., 18:14:07 »
Yup, it's one point MS missed in the new UI.. it's the only solution I found so far also

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
« Reply #4 on: 01. December 2013., 15:51:28 »
Yup, it's one point MS missed in the new UI.. it's the only solution I found so far also

Got another one! In the "old" days the network icon would 1. prefer wifi over lan (WTF! Still so in 8.x btw) and 2. when wifi is connected the lan-icon changes in a wifi icon. I did not bother startpaging this... ;p

In Windows 8.x, when both LAN and Wifi are connected, the LAN icon will show - not the Wifi icon. BUT Wifi still has precedence over LAN* :S

... Karma!

Devvie

~~~ notemail@facebook.com ~~~

Conare nullius momenti videri fortasse missilibus careant
——
All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the GNU General Public License! – (© 95-1 by Coredump; 2-013 by DevNullius)

* Solution? Check http://scforum.info/index.php/topic,8403.msg21466.html#msg21466 and also read Pez's warnings!

« Reply #4 on: 01. December 2013., 15:51:28 »

Fireberg

• SCF Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: 03. December 2013., 01:04:07 »
Only Microsoft can do this..lol

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
« Reply #6 on: 03. December 2013., 01:08:57 »
Only Microsoft can do this..lol

You laughing?? Tsssssss  :down:  :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

:o

devnullius

PS: Pez, do not worry: I am not really mad ; -)

« Reply #6 on: 03. December 2013., 01:08:57 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising