• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42869
  • Total Topics: 16078
  • Online Today: 3568
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: I did not know that - prioritize lan over wifi in Windows  (Read 6127 times)

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
I did not know that - prioritize lan over wifi in Windows
« on: 28. September 2013., 18:44:18 »
FROM: http://www.megaleecher.net/Multi_Network_Setup_for_Windows

Original article contains screenshots...

Copy Paste:
How To Setup Internet Access Priority With Multiple Networks On Windows

Submitted by Deepesh Agarwal on Thu, 09/26/2013 - 08:38

If you are using multiple NIC's (Network Adapters) to access more than one network, it gets tricky from where you internet connection comes from.

Here is one such scenario and solution to make Microsoft Windows prioritize internet connection from a particular network over the other.

In my example setup I have one LAN connection (192.168.0.1) and one WiFi connection (192.168.1.1) and would like Windows to use internet from my fixed-line broadband connected via LAN.

To get started with configuring the internet access priority on your Windows computer, follow the steps below :

Setup Network Card Priority at Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections -> Advanced menu –> Advanced settings.

However, the above will not prioritize the internet access (from http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1624208/give-wifi-priority-lan-windows.html).
Windows 7
1.) Go to Start menu, then Control Panel
2.) Go to Network and Sharing Center
3.) Click on "Change Adapter Settings"
4.) Hit "Alt + F" to bring up the menu bar
5.) In the menu bar, go to "Advanced" then "Advanced Settings"
6.) Go to the "Adapter and Bindings" tab.
7.) Ensure that the Wireless Network Connection is at the top of the priority list.
Uncheck Automatic metric in the bottom and set the priority value ( valid values are between 1 and 9999, smaller the number the higher the connection priority).

In Windows 8 (by Devnullius):
1. Go to Control Panel
2. Go to Network and Internet
3. In the left column, chose: change adapter settings
4. A list of network connections will appear, including your VPN's. Make sure explorer has menu bar on (always) on. Then, you can chose, from the top menu bar:
- Advanced
- Advanced Settings...
5. In the first tab (Adapters and bindings) you will see, at the top, a graphical representation of which networks go in which order. Just switch Lan with Wifi so it is first. LEAVE THE REST ALONE - complex shit only Pez will understand! ;p

(continued copy paste from MegaLeecher...)
In my scenario since I wanted to use internet connection from LAN I set this to 1 for my LAN NIC and 2 for WiFi connection.

Repeat same for all other network-adapters changing values as per your personal preference, for example the above shown config is for my LAN and the below is for my WiFi.

You can check correctness of this setup by checking your Public IP against IP's provided by your different internet connections using any web-browser.

... Karma!

Devvie

~~~ notemail@facebook.com ~~~

Conare nullius momenti videri fortasse missilibus careant
——
All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the GNU General Public License! – (© 95-1 by Coredump; 2-013 by DevNullius)

KW's:
Networking Microsoft Windows Multiple Network Connections at the Same Time on Windows Set network device priority in Windows, How To Change The Network Adapter Priority In Windows 7
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

I did not know that - prioritize lan over wifi in Windows
« on: 28. September 2013., 18:44:18 »

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
Re: I did not know that - prioritize lan over wifi in Windows
« Reply #1 on: 02. October 2013., 19:47:22 »
Very useful...  :thumbsup:

Thanks D.

Pez

• SCF VIP Member
  • Pez
« Reply #2 on: 03. October 2013., 09:23:48 »
Imported to remember in this!

Don't start routing for the different network interface. Because then you can open up the whole network for exposure from the Internet if you don't know what you are doing. Because your computer then act as a router in the network.
Their is two easy way to configure a system!
Every thing open and every thing closed.
Every thing else is more or less complex.

Start Turfing ! http://scforum.info/index.php/topic,8405.msg21475.html#msg21475

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
« Reply #3 on: 03. October 2013., 13:58:47 »
Imported to remember in this!

Don't start routing for the different network interface. Because then you can open up the whole network for exposure from the Internet if you don't know what you are doing. Because your computer then act as a router in the network.

More details? An example...?

Thank you :)

devnullius
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

Pez

• SCF VIP Member
  • Pez
« Reply #4 on: 03. October 2013., 14:55:51 »
If you don't know what you are doing you can set up the computer to act as a bridge or router depending of the selection in the network interface on an multihomed (multi network interface) computer.

You can do this by wrong selection and open up the interfaces or in the guided way in Windows.
Simplest way in an Windows 7 computer to use a computer as a bridge or router is to go in in the control panel -> Network... -> change properties for network adapters (I think it's named so I just try to translate from a foreign country computer) -> Select multiple adapters and go the advanced menu and select -> Bridge connection.
But you can do the same in other way also to get the same result if you don't know what you are doing.

About Bridging: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridging_(networking)

About Router: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router_(computing)

Note if you have a Internet router without a WiFi connection you can set up a computer to act as a WiFi router to act as connection for them to get internet access true that computers lan interface and the router. But then the computer need to have a WiFi interface and a lan interface but that is common on a laptop. ;)

So If you have a iPad without a telecom connection and want to use it via WiFi you can let your laptop act as a router for the iPad to internet and your lan if you just make a proper configuration of the interface.

BUT you need to know what you are doing so you don't compromise your systems security. ;)

As in my sign "Their is two easy way to configure a system! ..." ;)

This is under the category "more or less complex."
Their is two easy way to configure a system!
Every thing open and every thing closed.
Every thing else is more or less complex.

Start Turfing ! http://scforum.info/index.php/topic,8405.msg21475.html#msg21475

« Reply #4 on: 03. October 2013., 14:55:51 »

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
« Reply #5 on: 01. December 2013., 15:13:46 »
Missed your answer - and am remembered again that I do not get routing at all, ever ;p Thx :)

devnullius

« Reply #5 on: 01. December 2013., 15:13:46 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising