• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42869
  • Total Topics: 16078
  • Online Today: 3869
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: The Best SSD for Laptop ?!  (Read 16438 times)

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
The Best SSD for Laptop ?!
« on: 11. January 2015., 22:19:54 »
Dear SCF members,

I would like to speed up my laptop (Aspire), so one of my friends suggest me to replace HDD (Hitachi) with SSD. Since I'm not so familiar with SSDs, I researched a little...

SSD (Solid-State Disk) is a drive that uses non-volatile memory as a means of storing and accessing data, much like computer RAM. Unlike other storage devices such as hard drives, an SSD has no moving parts, which gives it advantages such as consume much less power, it's often more reliable, produces no noise and it access to stored information faster than the traditional hard drive (HDD) found in computers. As described on Wikipedia, SSD technology uses electronic interfaces compatible with traditional block input/output (I/O) hard disk drives, thus permitting simple replacement in common applications. Additionally, new I/O interfaces, like SATA Express, have been designed to address specific requirements of the SSD technology. More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

These pictures shows a few SSD models and they are an example of what an SSD looks like:

During my research, I found a great site with a lot of useful information - "Fastest SSD": http://www.fastestssd.com :thumbsup:

After browsing this site, my conclusion is that upgrading to an SSD does not provide minor performance enhancements. Upgrading from a regular hard drive to a solid state drive (SSD) is the single best upgrade to improve your computer’s performance. While other computer parts such as the graphics card, processor and RAM are all important components, the real bottleneck in today’s PCs (and Macs) is the hard drive. Rather, an SSD will transform our computing experience with its revolutionary random access speeds... because of that, before you decide which model you want to buy, I'll recommend you to check this page - "SSD Ranking: The Fastest Solid State Drives": http://www.fastestssd.com/featured/ssd-rankings-the-fastest-solid-state-drives/

Finally, I would like to hear your opinions/experience/recommendation and to start discussion about SSD.

Cheers,

S.

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

The Best SSD for Laptop ?!
« on: 11. January 2015., 22:19:54 »

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
Re: The Best SSD for Laptop ?!
« Reply #1 on: 11. January 2015., 22:22:57 »
In my experience... Samsung still provides the best SSDs, especially with the EVO Pro. Do check version numbers for them: there are differences.

They seem to perform fast enough but mostly: they are really really robust. I never experienced problems with them on my friends computers...! So whenever I have to buy one for them: Samsung it is :)

And indeed: hard drive is bottleneck I recently found with my new server hardware. Even RAM-disks don't make it perfect... :/

Devvie
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 11. January 2015., 22:51:46 »
D., thanks for quick reply (and advice)... :up:

I forgot to mention price (the ratio of price and quality)... I must to consider that as well.  :-\

A41202813GMAIL

• SCF VIP Member
  • XPOCALYPSE FOREVER !
SSDs.
« Reply #3 on: 14. January 2015., 10:36:28 »
Not To Mention The Price, At Least In The Past, The Relatively Quick Degradation Of An SSD Was A Concern.

Modern Ones Are Already Over That Old Myth ?

Cheers.

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
« Reply #4 on: 14. January 2015., 23:13:37 »
D., thanks for quick reply (and advice)... :up:

I forgot to mention price (the ratio of price and quality)... I must to consider that as well.  :-\

Yeah, guess why I am not running any SSDs... But I just don't dare to gamble it with anything else, also according to tests and reviews I googled once in a while... Better safe than sorry - let me tell you that! :)

Devvie - whose harddrive seems to be restoring just fine... Wallets on the way!
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

« Reply #4 on: 14. January 2015., 23:13:37 »

bBbLaHhH

• SCF Member
« Reply #5 on: 18. July 2015., 20:45:09 »
I bought a 500 gb Samsung EVO  and it works wonderfully!! One thing I do like about Samsung is that they provide you software to let the user know if their SSD firmware is out of date. 

I can't say the same with my Patriot SSD which I don't think they make SSD's anymore, only USB keys and smaller storage devices.  Additionally,  the firmware upgrade experience is not a user friendly as Samsung's.

When I go on my parent's laptops I always feel that their computer runs slow.  Then I realize, they are just running regular HDDs...  How spoiled I have become...

Relader

• SCF Newbie
« Reply #6 on: 23. July 2015., 07:50:46 »
I am not using a SSD now, but I don't recommend Sandisk, I bought a USB-disk of Sandisk, It totally failed me

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 31. July 2015., 20:13:48 »
I am not using a SSD now, but I don't recommend Sandisk, I bought a USB-disk of Sandisk, It totally failed me

hmmm... I have same experience with SanDisk, however, my Kingston USB-disk work like a charm for almost 10 Years. :thumbsup:

jheysen

• SCF Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 01. August 2015., 15:13:07 »
I have mixed experiences with SanDisk, personally I had a class 10 microSD that failed in 3 months, but frinds of mine use SanDisk's microSDs without trouble, and I have a SanDisk pendrive that works like a charm.
For flash memories I still recommend Kingston though

myphonecarduk

• SCF Member
« Reply #9 on: 14. October 2016., 17:47:08 »
I found samsung SSD's are better for laptops and desktops, I use samsung SSD on my macbook and I am pretty satisfied with this.
I would recommend for Samsung SSD cards.

« Reply #9 on: 14. October 2016., 17:47:08 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising