• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42872
  • Total Topics: 16081
  • Online Today: 4069
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: We're looking for Moderators!  (Read 47409 times)

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
We're looking for Moderators!
« on: 09. April 2010., 23:55:32 »
Dear Friends,

We're looking for several volunteers who can function as Moderators in SCforum.

Tasks will be:

- Letting people know about our forums (posting elsewhere)
- Assist people who need help within your specific field
- Keep an eye on postings made in your category, and remove inappropriate messages if necessary
- And of course, create postings on things of interest to others!

What does moderation involve?

Basically you check the forums at least once a day and use the built-in moderation functions to handle any problems that come up. You’ll automatically receive an email whenever a forum member reports a problem, so in many cases you’ll be alerted to problems before you even visit the site.

Your privileges will include the ability to delete threads and posts. You’ll also be able to send private messages to members. The forums will require registration with an image-based verification process for all members, so you shouldn’t have to worry about automated spam attacks.

Depending on how many qualified people apply to be moderators and how popular the forums become, we could have multiple moderators per forum or multiple forums per moderator. I’ll aim to maintain a good ratio that keeps the moderation duties fairly light. On most days moderators shouldn’t have any problems to address at all.

If you decide you no longer wish to moderate, you can quit at any time. I just ask that you give me reasonable notice (two weeks would be great) to find a suitable successor.

Why become a moderator?

Anyone who’s moderated a forum already knows how rewarding it can be. If your goal is to fill an ego-based need like status or popularity, you probably won’t make a good moderator. A good reason to become a moderator is that you love helping people and are looking for an outlet to contribute. Great moderators are active in their forums, and they love seeing their communities blossom. An active moderator has tremendous influence over the type of community that evolves. If there’s anything you’ll get out of being a moderator, it’s that you’ll build stronger communication and leadership skills.

If you'd like to be a moderator on forums, simply reply to this Topic.
Tell us a bit about yourself, and what you think qualifies you to work. This would include any references or credentials you might have when it comes to moderating experience. Not having experience will not necessarily exclude you, so please don't be discouraged!

All the Best,

Samker

Administrator
SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

We're looking for Moderators!
« on: 09. April 2010., 23:55:32 »

Gerald309

Re: We're looking for Moderators!
« Reply #1 on: 17. May 2010., 22:34:31 »
Moderator Application
Member Gerald309
Gerald Founds,
Webmaster BlueCollarPC.Org
(Computing Security themes)

In response to instructions in PM, I am responding here with application to be considered as a Moderator for the malware removal help forum:

>>> PC Help Center !!! <<<
http://scforum.info/index.php/board,16.0.html

Qualifications....
I qualify my self as "Advanced User / Malware Removal Help / Amatuer Forensics" (Windows OS)

As a Malware Removal Helper I began as an average consumer in Nov. 2001 on the brand new Windows XP PC. This was about the time adware was springing up everywhere and spyware was being discovered and was the basic roots in the industry as well. We as consumers were learning of these new threats and their actual capabilities of leaking and spying on private data from and in our computers. From that time I began all studies in Windows and also began my own private testing of the products available of the day. I am self taught and learned much from professionals and expert publications and promote the free Community sharing of information as these common threats can be too expensive to clean up at the shop - though sometimes is simply necessary according to damages.

In knowing Windows then, I discovered the malware RASautodial registry keys as sort of the "Call Home" part of connectivity from an installation and own discovery of that as none of the security industry products removed these surprisingly. These were discovered by manual inspection of the system and files and registry. In the beginning of the decade of course the public was very skeptical that antispyware products were a gimmick for profit. Today we can laugh at those suspicions realizing and reading about the great botnet infections plaguing the internet. I "graduated" to Amateur Forensics with those type attacks - botnets, zombie networks - with actual first hand experience in several. Today, threats have evolved greatly and botnets are a main cause - as malware payloads are not as simple as they once were becoming as "blended threats" - meaning a several purpose malware package gets installed. These types are the newer password stealing virus and downloader trojans and backdoor trojans and so on.

Becoming an Advanced User on Windows and able to successfully clean an entire PC, I realized many people needed this help and began my own Yahoo Group and then launched the BlueCollarPC.Net which ran from 2005 to 2009. The BlueCollarPC.Org was our back up site and is now my main help domain. These are Community Help sites almost as a self help many times. Most times just reading something does not help to get rid of a threat. Live help is required. A great help community was born. There have been handfuls of forums and boards that were left unmoderated and much spammed with forum trolls harassing users, unattended. This was bad and does not reflect real help from real concerned people, as those needing computer help had to search and search sometimes to find responsible help.

As far as a board or forum or group moderator, I go all the way back to 1999 - 2000 as a group creator in www.Egroups.com which was merged with, then, Yahoo Clubs which together formed popular Yahoo Groups as we know it today. I studied the Terms Of Service of many destinations as these and also mailing lists laws and rules. Through all the years and many destinations, it seems the best moderation has been a zero tolerance for violations of TOS (terms of service) and the most allowed as "heated discussion" with zero tolerance there for personal attacks and abusive commenting - leaving the door open a bit for disagreements in a civil manner as best possible. I say that because I have noticed many times Users being banned immediately for any disagreement and complained of censorship. Sometimes a healthy argument was necessary and both sides offering their points and backing it up with valid information to reach an actual solution. All in all, if offensive to members it should be just handled "off-board" by emails. This is a general solution for any "heated argument" I have seen work for that.

Expectations.....
I only expect to be a junior moderator and malware removal is my back ground, though also tech help plays into malware removal sometimes. I am aware of Moderation Duties as far as the common no violations of TOS. Of course in any event, it is the way Security Central Forum decides how to handle things and I would not attempt any decision or comment otherwise as Administrators here are obviously the final word in all decisions.

Why do we do what we do (malware removal helpers) ? I am like others in the free help Community and experience what others do from threats and the average PC Repair shop or professional security consulting can get expensive. Many episodes can be easily and safely remedied by the User, ourselves, with appropriate experienced help whether Advanced, Professional, or Expert. This is the community of computer users worldwide and those that can help do you will find. I pity the average user when it comes to damges but more importantly to learn and teach defense against the worst things as ID Theft by crimeware. This is the true expensive damage above hundreds of dollars even for a new computer. I began as any user - complete newbie ! It has been ten years now and I have learned so much, as anyone can with time, and also have branched out to Linux which is really fun. Crimeware finally invaded there as well on a very limited basis. I am very familiar with Linux - how to cut the distros and installation and have followed popular Ubuntu Linux since their "one click" install over Windows was still a prototype - and now dream realized. I do not claim to be any expert on Linux at all yet - but "Intermediate User" on Linux.

Common Chain / Users.....
I am raised on this common chain of user description across the 'Net .....
Novice (newbie) > Intermediate User > Advanced User > Professional > Expert

I qualify myself as Advanced User and completely non-commercial in the Help Community. If I am better qualified as just a helping member I am happy to do so !

Thank you for the consideration.
Gerald Founds
Webmaster www.BlueCollarPC.Org

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 19. May 2010., 21:58:01 »
Hi Gerald,

thank you very much for interest and application.

Of course, We'll accept your application for Mod. position. Your experience and your site are in one word - Excellent!  :bih:

I'm already change your SCF status to Moderator. ;)

Please, try to be active at SCF Boards at least few times a Week and take a part in opened discussions, help requests etc. as much as you can...

All the Best,

Samker

P.S.

So sorry for delay with reply, I was out of town for few days...

amko_sa

• SCF VIP Member
    • Newsapp IT support Portal
« Reply #3 on: 19. May 2010., 22:18:44 »
Congratulations Gerald and I wish you successful work  :up:

Gerald309

« Reply #4 on: 20. May 2010., 05:39:12 »
Thank you all very much !

« Reply #4 on: 20. May 2010., 05:39:12 »

Amker

• SCF Global Moderator
    • SCforum.info
« Reply #5 on: 22. May 2010., 19:39:44 »
Hi Gerald, I just want to Congratulate you...   ;)

Welcome to SCF Team !!!  :bih:

cya around,

Amker

# Online Anti-Malware Scanners: http://scforum.info/index.php/topic,734.0.html

neerajrawat1

• SCF VIP Member
  • We believe in sharing is caring
    • Experts Galaxy
Is this old or new
« Reply #6 on: 15. November 2010., 23:56:49 »
If new as its in the news I would like to apply

Neeraj Rawat

webmaster@ www.expertsgalaxy.com

still learning windows & linux as i love to learn more & more and the OS is so vast one cant end up the chapter and say I am done but yes would like to share my knowledge and experience with all

have experience of around 4 years with a major ISP and one of the biggest computer manufacturer for software support so would be doing the same here

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 16. November 2010., 07:53:31 »

Neeraj Rawat

still learning windows & linux as i love to learn more & more and the OS is so vast one cant end up the chapter and say I am done but yes would like to share my knowledge and experience with all

have experience of around 4 years with a major ISP and one of the biggest computer manufacturer for software support so would be doing the same here

Hi neerajrawat1.

Thank you very much for application.

I'll speak with SCF's Global Moderator "Amker" about your application for Mod. position, but since you're active member of SCF Community, post very useful news and comments... also have very positive Karma ratings... I think that you have big chances. ;)

Anyway, I'll send you final answer (confirmation) in the next 24h.

Best Regards,

S.

neerajrawat1

• SCF VIP Member
  • We believe in sharing is caring
    • Experts Galaxy
« Reply #8 on: 16. November 2010., 10:33:51 »
No probs dude will be the same way even if i wont be the mod

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 16. November 2010., 16:40:40 »

Neeraj Rawat

Congratulations N.  :bih:

Please, try to be active at SCF Boards at least few times a Week and take a part in opened discussions, help requests etc. as much as you can...

cya around SCF,

Samker

« Reply #9 on: 16. November 2010., 16:40:40 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising