• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42947
  • Total Topics: 16146
  • Online Today: 4867
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: Unreal serve Linux Trojan (unreal3.2.8.1.tar.gz)  (Read 9061 times)

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
Unreal serve Linux Trojan (unreal3.2.8.1.tar.gz)
« on: 13. June 2010., 18:49:08 »

I've got good news and bad news for those of the misguided perception that Linux is somehow impervious to attack or compromise. The bad news is that it turns out a vast collection of Linux systems may, in fact, be pwned. The good news, at least for IT administrators and organizations that rely on Linux as a server or desktop operating system, is that the Trojan is in a game download so it should have no bearing on Linux in a business setting.

An announcement on the Unreal IRCd Forums states "This is very embarrassing...We found out that the Unreal3.2.8.1.tar.gz file on our mirrors has been replaced quite a while ago with a version with a backdoor (trojan) in it. This backdoor allows a person to execute ANY command with the privileges of he user running the ircd. The backdoor can be executed regardless of any user restrictions (so even if you have passworded server or hub that doesn't allow any users in)."

The post goes on to say "It appears the replacement of the .tar.gz occurred in November 2009 (at least on some mirrors). It seems nobody noticed it until now."

Unreal is a popular first-person shooter game--similar to Doom or Quake. I don't have any numbers on the total downloads since November of 2009, but it seems safe to assume there are a lot of Linux systems out there compromised by a backdoor Trojan.

However, none of those systems should be in a place of business, so the risk from a business perspective is not very high. IT administrators can learn, though, from the mea culpa at the end of the UnrealIRCd Forums post. "We simply did not notice, but should have. We did not check the files on all mirrors regularly, but should have. We did not sign releases through PGP/GPG, but should have done so."

Basically, because of the false sense of security provided by Linux it simply never occurred to anyone to check if the software might be compromised. Combining that false sense of security with the security by obscurity factor that Linux makes up less than two percent of the overall OS market and isn't a target worth pursuing for attackers, means that many Linux owners have zero defenses in place.

To be fair, Linux experts are aware that the operating system is not bulletproof. You can pick any flavor of Linux, and its accompanying tools and applications and find hundreds of vulnerabilities. The difference--according to the many lectures I have received in the comments of articles I have written on Windows security--is that the way the Linux OS is written makes it harder to exploit a vulnerability, and that because its open source vulnerabilities are fixed in hours rather than months.

The lesson for IT Admins managing Linux is to be more vigilant. Linux is not impervious to attack. Hopefully the Linux systems in a business environment aren't running Unreal, but it's quite possible that Unreal is not the only compromised software available.

Linux does not have the vast array of threats facing it that Windows systems do, but there are still threats. Even if those threats aren't exploited through a quickly-spreading worm, they are still there and represent a potential Achilles heel in your network security if not monitored and protected.

Don't make the mistake of simply assuming Linux systems are safe because they're Linux systems. Implement similar security controls and policies for Linux as you have in place for Windows systems and you can prevent being pwned by a backdoor Trojan for months without even knowing about it.

(PCW)

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

Unreal serve Linux Trojan (unreal3.2.8.1.tar.gz)
« on: 13. June 2010., 18:49:08 »

haz

• SCF Advanced Member
Re: Unreal game serve Linux Trojan (unreal3.2.8.1.tar.gz)
« Reply #1 on: 14. June 2010., 07:20:32 »
Useful read, Thanks :)

nonut

• SCF Newbie
Re: Unreal serve Linux Trojan (unreal3.2.8.1.tar.gz)
« Reply #2 on: 14. June 2010., 18:05:58 »
You are somehow bad informed. UnrealIRCd has nothing to do with the famous ego-shooter-game. Its an popular IRC-Server.

(Please excuse my bad english)

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 14. June 2010., 19:34:34 »
You are somehow bad informed. UnrealIRCd has nothing to do with the famous ego-shooter-game. Its an popular IRC-Server.

Hi nonut and Welcome to SCF Community.

Mentioned information is from "Unreal IRCd Forums": http://forums.unrealircd.com/viewtopic.php?t=6562

Regards,

S.

nonut

• SCF Newbie
« Reply #4 on: 14. June 2010., 22:30:21 »
Thanks. I just stumbled in here.. probably i'm gonna stay a while :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UnrealIRCd this is the meant software. There you can also read about the security problem. A realy bad thing, since unrealircd is a wide used irc-server-software. 

« Reply #4 on: 14. June 2010., 22:30:21 »

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 14. June 2010., 22:40:22 »
Thanks. I just stumbled in here.. probably i'm gonna stay a while :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UnrealIRCd this is the meant software. There you can also read about the security problem. A realy bad thing, since unrealircd is a wide used irc-server-software. 

Thanks for info's & Stumble...  :up:

F3RL

• SCF Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: 15. June 2010., 14:02:01 »
We all know, nothing's secure. But hey Samker, I'm back from a long break, although I will be having another one anytime soon.
well? understand ma bad English.

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 15. June 2010., 15:24:36 »
But hey Samker, I'm back from a long break, although I will be having another one anytime soon.

That's Great News!  :up:

Welcome back Eric!  :bih:

« Reply #7 on: 15. June 2010., 15:24:36 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising