• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42952
  • Total Topics: 16150
  • Online Today: 4651
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: ‘Rogue’ Smartphones Could Pose Security Threats  (Read 3478 times)

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
‘Rogue’ Smartphones Could Pose Security Threats
« on: 19. November 2009., 07:02:59 »

Smartphones could someday be a major target for criminals seeking to attack major wireless networks, warned Research in Motion’s vice president of BlackBerry security.

Scott Totzke said that hackers could convert the smartphones into "rogue" devices that target wireless carriers in something known as a distributed denial of service, or a DDOS attack.

The technique involves hackers using phone signals to order tens of thousands of computers to repeatedly contact a targeted site, slowing or ultimately causing the site to crash.

The tactic is similar to the one used in attacks that slowed Internet traffic in the U.S. and South Korea in July.

"I think that's an area of concern," said Totzke during an interview with Reuters.

A technique involving data packets might be used to bring down a wireless network, but criminals might accomplish their goal with a fairly small number of smartphones, Totzke said.

Malicious software to launch such attacks would probably come from applications installed on the smartphones, said Kevin Mahaffey, chief technology officer of mobile security software firm Flexilis.

Researchers at Flexilis have already identified virus-laden versions of popular smartphone applications such as Google Maps and computer games.

"These are not telephones anymore. These are computers. So people are going to have all the problems on their phones that they have on their computers," Mahaffey told Reuters.

The best way smartphone users can protect themselves is through security patches, which smartphone makers such as Ontario, Canada-based RIM release when a potential security flaw in their devices is discovered, Totzke added.

(redOrbit)

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

‘Rogue’ Smartphones Could Pose Security Threats
« on: 19. November 2009., 07:02:59 »

JayKriz

• SCF Newbie
Re: ‘Rogue’ Smartphones Could Pose Security Threats
« Reply #1 on: 18. March 2010., 08:58:21 »
Just make a full security at the wireless network because it was a concern to your customer to protect your services. This alert might need an opportunity to be ready if they encountered such a problem.

derekrussell

• SCF Newbie
« Reply #2 on: 18. January 2012., 03:24:59 »
I've experienced DDOS attack in my favorite online game and its very annoying. It attacks with no specific time so the game will be ruined. Anyway, speaking with this issue, I now have an idea on how hackers crashed my favorite online game. Smartphone users must be aware on this issue to avoid further problems.

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

« Reply #2 on: 18. January 2012., 03:24:59 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising