• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42951
  • Total Topics: 16148
  • Online Today: 4867
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: How do I free more ram space?  (Read 14857 times)

cobaltazule

• SCF VIP Member
How do I free more ram space?
« on: 09. October 2007., 07:59:12 »
 Samker
 My operating system is vista and my computer only has 512megs of ram. Right now when I run even the smallest programs my ram is 80-90% full. Is there some way to free some space or utilize the limited available space in a more efficient manner? I know you know all the tricks for tweaking a system. Will you throw a few my way?
 Always grateful
     Robert

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

How do I free more ram space?
« on: 09. October 2007., 07:59:12 »

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
Re: How do I free more ram space?
« Reply #1 on: 09. October 2007., 13:05:23 »
Hi Robert,

we are already start resolving this (in your topic about IE) with turning of some Startup process and will come back here after finish all stuff there.

Regards,

Samker

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 15. October 2007., 04:14:04 »
Robert,

in your next reply please provide us more details about your hardware (CPU, Hard Disc, RAM ...).

Regards,

Samker

cobaltazule

• SCF VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: 17. October 2007., 03:24:58 »
Samker
 Very well. My computer is an Acer Aspire model 3680. It has 512 megs of DDR2 ram.  The hard drive consists of two 35gig discs. It is supposed to be a 80 gig hard drive, but it is'nt. The processor is Celeron(R) M CPU 440 @ 1.86 GHz.
 It is bargain basement but it was all I could afford.
Until two days ago I was pushing about 95% of my ram space and my system really dragged. I then used your suggestion from the earlier post and disabled all the unecessary stuff from the startup list. It helped a little and freed up another 10% of ram.
That extra 10% was nice, but things were still too slow. Yesterday I went to the store and purchased a 1 gig expansion card and installed it.
now...WOW!
Now my system speeds along just fine. I am really surprised at how well it works now. No more problems. If you have any more tricks to tweak it out even more I would love learn them. You're pretty good at that.
Anyway... I have a new question. I think it's a good one. Check out my new post.
regards
 Robert

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 17. October 2007., 17:16:40 »
Yesterday I went to the store and purchased a 1 gig expansion card and installed it.

That's the best Tweak for sure.  ;)

Anyway, I will provide you few setup tricks (only safe things):

1. Set A Static Page File Size
Go to "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "System", "Advanced" tab, in the "Performance" section select "Settings", "Advanced" tab, in the "Virtual Memory" section select "Change", look at the "Initial Size" and set same value at "Maximum Size", then select "Set" and "OK".

2. Disable Indexing Service
To disable the Indexing Service go into "My Computer", right-click on all your hard drive partitions one at a time, left-click "Properties". Uncheck "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching". Select "Apply changes to subfolders and files". If any files can not be updated select "Ignore All".

3. Reduce Recycling Bin Drive Space Usage
To change the Recycling Bin Size, right-click on the "Recycle Bin", left-click on "Properties", select the "Global" tab, then "Use one setting for all drives". Move the slider to "3%".

4. Reduce System Restore Drive Space Usage
Go to "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "System", "System Restore" tab, turn of monitoring for disc who doesn't have installed OS (usually that is disc D) and for disc C adjust the slider so System Restore is only using roughly 500MB of disk space for that partition and select "OK".

5. Defragment Your Hard Drive
Double-click "My Computer", right-click the local disk volume that you want to defragment, Example: Local Disk (C:), and then left-click "Properties". On the "Tools" tab, select "Defragment Now", then "Defragment".

So Robert that's all from me about this theme, it will be very nice from you if you give us feedback after tweaking ...

Of course, if you have any additional question ? We are here for you.  :)

All the best my friend,

Samker

« Reply #4 on: 17. October 2007., 17:16:40 »

cobaltazule

• SCF VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: 20. October 2007., 00:24:01 »
Samker
I tried those techniques you outlined but was only able to follow the one involving disc defrag. My system uses vista and the procedures you outlined were for xp. Many of the menus are different in vista and I held off because I was afraid of making a mistake. If you know the procedures for vista though, I will try them.
The defrag DID clean alot of my harddrive. Thank you for the advice.
regards, your friend
Robert

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 21. October 2007., 15:49:40 »
Hi again Rob.,

so sorry for waiting for answers, but we need to immediately upgrade forum in the last 24h.

XP and Vista have a lot of similar settings so just check next instructions and I think that you don't have any problems to follow them:

1. Set A Static Page File Size
Go to "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "System", "Advanced" tab, in the "Performance" section select "Settings", "Advanced" tab, in the "Virtual Memory" section select "Change", look at the "Initial Size" and set same value at "Maximum Size", then select "Set" and "OK".
Right Click on My Computer icon at Desktop, choose Properties, choose Advanced System Settings, choose Settings at Performance, choose Advanced, click on Change, look at the "Initial Size" and set same value at "Maximum Size", then select "Set" and "OK". Close all open "window"

2. Disable Indexing Service
To disable the Indexing Service go into "My Computer", right-click on all your hard drive partitions one at a time, left-click "Properties". Uncheck "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching". Select "Apply changes to subfolders and files". If any files can not be updated select "Ignore All".
Double click on My Computer icon at Desktop, right click at Dick C icon, again choose Properties, Uncheck "Indexing this drive for faster searching". Select "Apply changes to subfolders and files". If any files can not be updated select "Ignore All". Repeat same procedure with disc D (as I remember you have two disc)

3. Reduce Recycling Bin Drive Space Usage
To change the Recycling Bin Size, right-click on the "Recycle Bin", left-click on "Properties", select the "Global" tab, then "Use one setting for all drives". Move the slider to "3%".
Right click on Recycle Bin, again Properties, choose Custom Size and set some value between 300 - 500 MB, OK.

4. Reduce System Restore Drive Space Usage
Go to "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "System", "System Restore" tab, turn of monitoring for disc who doesn't have installed OS (usually that is disc D) and for disc C adjust the slider so System Restore is only using roughly 500MB of disk space for that partition and select "OK".
Right Click on My Computer icon at Desktop, choose Properties, choose System Protection, uncheck only Disc D (if you have them), click on Apply & OK.

Hope this is now mostly clear ? 

Of course we are here for you Robert. 

Regards your Friend,

Samker

cobaltazule

• SCF VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: 25. October 2007., 21:06:53 »
samker
I did as you asked and everything seems fine. Your instructions for vista did help. I did have one problem. It has to do with setting static page size. In my window there is no figure in "initial size" to use to set the "max" size. Can you recommend a good setting? I will then go back and set it.
Sorry that I have been slow in replying. Sometimes life just does not offer much free time.
Again thank you
your friend
Robert

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 26. October 2007., 11:01:34 »
Hey Robert nice to see you again.  :)

I understand all about time, I also have a same problem.  ;)

Can you please provide me value of "Initial size" first?

Hope, that I understand your problem with this setup.

cya

Samker

cobaltazule

• SCF VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: 27. October 2007., 05:42:43 »
samker
 I think I did not explain properly my problem. There is no number in the "initial size" box for me to give you. It is managed automatically(at least thats what the box which is checked says). There is no figure to give you. It only tells me that the minimum allowed is 16mb,recommended is 2287mb,currently allocated is 1825mb.
Am I free to set the page size to the recommended level? I am really sorry to sound like a dummy but is this what you are asking me to do?
cya
Robert

« Reply #9 on: 27. October 2007., 05:42:43 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising