• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42862
  • Total Topics: 16071
  • Online Today: 1267
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: The Best FireWall?!  (Read 107355 times)

Fintech

• SCF VIP Member
Re: The Best FireWall?!
« Reply #90 on: 09. September 2011., 20:25:12 »
Thanx from your information  :)  I think that all haven't even known from the whole matter!

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

« Reply #90 on: 09. September 2011., 20:25:12 »

mikey

• SCF VIP Member
  • Predator
« Reply #91 on: 21. February 2012., 18:28:47 »
I posted this elsewhere just a few days ago. I hope no one will mind if I just do a paste;

free 'Online Armor'

I find it harder to recommend products today than how it used to be. With so many sec tools available now (mostly scams), it is harder to pick and choose. Also, when recommending products, the user abilities must be a consideration.

I can't recommend the tools I use as an end point solution because they are designed for admin and not the casual user...like the Snort IDS(host based). This leaves me a little bit out of touch with common use.

However, I've been doing some recent informal testing of some of the more respected tools in the HIPS category. Of the products examined so far, I find OnlineArmor to be the most user friendly and with equal or better HIPS protection. It also has a strong user base and plenty of help and refs.

HIPS filtering/firewalling is essential today. Remember; " If it can't initiate, it can't infect."

BTW OnlineArmor also has what I consider a prerequisite for any HIPS tool, a 'learning mode'.

I think that's about 2c worth. 

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
Re: The Best FireWall - "Online Armor"
« Reply #92 on: 22. February 2012., 10:57:12 »
Thanks Mike. :thumbsup:

"Because of" your recommendation, I'll add (sticked) "Online Armor Free" Topic to SCforum's Firewall area (with Comodo & ZoneAlarm). ;)

I posted this elsewhere just a few days ago. I hope no one will mind if I just do a paste;

free 'Online Armor'

I find it harder to recommend products today than how it used to be. With so many sec tools available now (mostly scams), it is harder to pick and choose. Also, when recommending products, the user abilities must be a consideration.

I can't recommend the tools I use as an end point solution because they are designed for admin and not the casual user...like the Snort IDS(host based). This leaves me a little bit out of touch with common use.

However, I've been doing some recent informal testing of some of the more respected tools in the HIPS category. Of the products examined so far, I find OnlineArmor to be the most user friendly and with equal or better HIPS protection. It also has a strong user base and plenty of help and refs.

HIPS filtering/firewalling is essential today. Remember; " If it can't initiate, it can't infect."

BTW OnlineArmor also has what I consider a prerequisite for any HIPS tool, a 'learning mode'.

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
Re: The Best FireWall - "Online Armor"
« Reply #93 on: 22. February 2012., 11:30:15 »

Here it's, "Online Armor FREE Firewall (download)": http://scforum.info/index.php/board,13.0.html

Thanks Mike. :thumbsup:

"Because of" your recommendation, I'll add (sticked) "Online Armor Free" Topic to SCforum's Firewall area (with Comodo & ZoneAlarm). ;)

free 'Online Armor'

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
« Reply #94 on: 24. April 2012., 15:53:05 »
to end all discussions (which I didn't read, for I don't like Firewall :>)... Proactive Security Challenge 64 awards http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge-64/results.php)

Link by "Fubar" on http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/sterjo-portable-firewall28/ .

Only TWO products get a recommended - ALL others FAIL (miserably). Can you guess which two?

This is especially worrisome when you look closely at the players that fail. All big names. Avast. Kaspersky. Norton. G-Data. McAfee. Rising. The list goes on :(

Online Armor was not mentioned in this test.

Detailed reports are downloadable as pdf. Reading the details might even change my mind about firewalls... They do seem to be a very good add-on for virusprotection. The nasties not catched by the regular antivirus engine, might be catched by the firewall. I would not have expected this. But us Fubar points out righteously, the best firewall solutions come with 100 a 150MB of binary code... It must do something ;p

Time to take a critical look at the "pinned" solutions with scforum? ; )

Enjoy!

Devvie

~~~ notemail@facebook.com ~~~

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare
——
All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the GNU General Public License! – (© 95-1 by Coredump; 2-012 by DevNullius)
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

« Reply #94 on: 24. April 2012., 15:53:05 »

mikey

• SCF VIP Member
  • Predator
« Reply #95 on: 26. April 2012., 01:20:37 »
I don't think I would have rated Comodo that high. I also don't put much faith in comparitive testing;
Thoughts on Anti-Malware Product Comparison Testing

I haven't looked at Comodo since Oct 2010. I found it's HIPS features to be quite good. However, it employs a common signature scanner that brought many F/Ps and faulty removal routines.

As always, I recommend that users seek trained pro help when cleaning up any unwanted wares. Faulty removal and removal of false targets can literally trash the sys.

You might find this interesting. :) After whitelisting/ignoring all the F/Ps in Comodo, I still had an interesting scan result; http://forums.voiceofthepublic.com/smf2/index.php?topic=148.0

Pez

• SCF VIP Member
  • Pez
« Reply #96 on: 26. April 2012., 09:28:41 »
The best Firewall at the market is:

1. Cut the powercord,
2. disassemble the battery,
3. cut the internet cable,
4. unplug the GSM, 3G, 4G (or what ever) modem and router from the internet that you have connection to, disassemble also all hard drives.
5. Go to your local (Swiss or other land with high bank security outside US and EU) Bank and lock in everything in you rented Banksafe.

This is not 100% prof but it is currently one of the safest Firewall on the market. ;)

Important to know you compromise's the system again if you or someone else open the Banksafe or move it to a other country or a other regime.

Note also my signature below ;) :
Their is two easy way to configure a system!
Every thing open and every thing closed.
Every thing else is more or less complex.

Start Turfing ! http://scforum.info/index.php/topic,8405.msg21475.html#msg21475

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
« Reply #97 on: 26. April 2012., 15:24:45 »
The best Firewall at the market is:

1. Cut the powercord,
2. disassemble the battery,
3. cut the internet cable,
4. unplug the GSM, 3G, 4G (or what ever) modem and router from the internet that you have connection to, disassemble also all hard drives.
5. Go to your local (Swiss or other land with high bank security outside US and EU) Bank and lock in everything in you rented Banksafe.

This is not 100% prof but it is currently one of the safest Firewall on the market. ;)

Important to know you compromise's the system again if you or someone else open the Banksafe or move it to a other country or a other regime.

Note also my signature below ;) :

You left out one important step: shoot every homing pigeon flying over ;p

And your signature... Is this a rude sex metaphore? Not amused!

;))

Peace!

devnullus
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

Pez

• SCF VIP Member
  • Pez
« Reply #98 on: 27. April 2012., 09:28:27 »

And your signature... Is this a rude sex metaphore? Not amused!

;))

Peace!

devnullus

??? I don't understand your reference to a rude sex metaphor ???

My signature is:
"Their is two easy way to configure a system!
Every thing else is more or less complex."

Do you see any thing else ???
Can't see anything related to sex in that one. If you do you probably have some kind of virus! ;)

I have used this comment about systems security since I read the Orange book of security to understand the "C2" security in the end 1980:Th.

Trusted Computer System Evaluation Criteria: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Computer_System_Evaluation_Criteria

Rainbow Series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Series

Orange book: http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/secpubs/rainbow/std001.txt
Their is two easy way to configure a system!
Every thing else is more or less complex.

Start Turfing ! http://scforum.info/index.php/topic,8405.msg21475.html#msg21475

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
« Reply #99 on: 29. April 2012., 09:57:36 »
The Orange Book... Last time I heard that one mentioned was in the movie Hackers (with the young and looooovely Angelina Jolie).

Gotta see that one soon again : )

And yes: the sex remark was very obvious, to me. You are a bad man, Samker ;p

Peace!

devnullius

« Reply #99 on: 29. April 2012., 09:57:36 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising