• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42870
  • Total Topics: 16079
  • Online Today: 3869
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: How to give internet friends access to hyper-v clients on windows server 2012?  (Read 23567 times)

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
Q: How to give internet friends access to hyper-v clients on windows server 2012 R2?

I have several different virtual machines running on Hyper-V. I want to offer / access some of those machines through the internet (giving friends a private VPS so to speak).

How would I go about it? Mainly: how do I control to which machine they will connect? Can this only be done by giving each virtual machine a different forward port in the router (and set the correct listening address for each VM)? Or is there a way without going to my router at all (guess not)?

Anyone any hands on experience with this? I want to be able to handle multiple connections to 1 or more hyper-v clients (generation 1 and 2...). So 3 different users (each with their own 'local' account) to 1 client machine should work too :)

Thanks?

Devvie :)
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

jheysen

• SCF Global Moderator
Each of the VMs should have a different IP, then Open the RDP port for each of them on different exit ports in the router.
Then each of your friends will connect using you External IP (or DNS name) to the specified port.

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
Each of the VMs should have a different IP, then Open the RDP port for each of them on different exit ports in the router.
Then each of your friends will connect using you External IP (or DNS name) to the specified port.

Thanks & ♥ for the confirmation. Surprised this is still so primitive but then again; how to do it differently... So different ports it is :)

xx

Devvie
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
PS: are remote desktop and RDP all there is Microsoft Server has to offer when it comes to giving internet access to each VPS?

metalmunna

• SCF Moderators
    • my heart bleeds for none but my own!
PS: are remote desktop and RDP all there is Microsoft Server has to offer when it comes to giving internet access to each VPS?

as i know 2 USER RDP client access(if more then 2 then you need RDP licenses, available to my store!) is free with the each server!
easiest way to connect the VM on VPS is(i did it this way always):

1.VPS have a public IP, so create a VPN server or VPN gateway through RRAS(remote and routing access server), it's easy.
enable remote desktop on VM ...
now your remote access user will dial the VPN at first and then he/she can connect directly the VM through the RDP by the private id of the VM.

if i misunderstood your topic then sorry for my reply!

MetalMunnA
https://www.halfrain.com
https://www.coreyz.com
I just sit and wonder, why!! Everything i touch it dies!!!

jheysen

• SCF Global Moderator
Sadly yeah, Windows only offers RDP for remote connections... you can install TeamViewer, VNC Server, etc on the clients though.

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info

as i know 2 USER RDP client access(if more then 2 then you need RDP licenses, available to my store!) is free with the each server!

1.VPS have a public IP, so create a VPN server or VPN gateway through RRAS(remote and routing access server), it's easy.
now your remote access user will dial the VPN at first and then he/she can connect directly the VM through the RDP by the private id of the VM.

This indeed seems to be what I want :(

Will try to tackle this step by step. I don't believe in "easy" RRAS ;p

Will keep you posted with my questions :)

Thanks

UPDATE ;p

Ok, some questions...

"create a vpn server"... Do you mean I configure the host OS Win Server 2012 R2 as a VPN server? If so, how what where? General principles? :s

If user dials the VPN... Does that mean there is a different VPN for each hyper-v client I have? And how does it work then? Friend connects to VPN and gets my IP address. So he is in my local LAN?

UPDATE 2: Ok, I found Remote Access -> Direct Access & VPN (RAS) already was installed (because of remote desktop?). And a Remote Access Server is the same as a VPN server? My MCSE is 15 years old by now ;p

metalmunna

• SCF Moderators

This indeed seems to be what I want :(

Will try to tackle this step by step. I don't believe in "easy" RRAS ;p

Will keep you posted with my questions :)

Thanks

UPDATE ;p

Ok, some questions...

"create a vpn server"... Do you mean I configure the host OS Win Server 2012 R2 as a VPN server? If so, how what where? General principles? :s

If user dials the VPN... Does that mean there is a different VPN for each hyper-v client I have? And how does it work then? Friend connects to VPN and gets my IP address. So he is in my local LAN?

UPDATE 2: Ok, I found Remote Access -> Direct Access & VPN (RAS) already was installed (because of remote desktop?). And a Remote Access Server is the same as a VPN server? My MCSE is 15 years old by now ;p

Yes; Host Server will be the VPN server and you will need 2 NICs(LAN card) on the host server, install RRAS and then create VPN server on it, it's easy!
One NIC will have Private IP it's for your internal network included all of your VM should be on the same network too(Example: 10.10.10.1-255) and the 2nd NIC will have the Public IP for external network(Internet).

You have to configure you RRAS as a VPN server, it should be installed but not configured!
Yes: Remote Access Server can be the same as a VPN server.
All of your VM user have to dial for VPN(all vpn user will get a local IP when connected the connection, needed a DHCP server too or can automatically assign a range of IP too without installing DHCP) connection to get access the internal network with secure connection. If you can't do, you can invite me complete the task and later you will buy me a ice cream!

---------
To install the RRAS role service in Windows Server 2012 by using Server Manager
---------

In Server Manager, click Manage and click Add Roles and Features.

On the Before you begin page, click Next.

On the Select installation type page, click Role/Feature Based Install and then click Next.

On the Select destination server page, click Select a server from the server pool, click the names of the server where you want to install RRAS and then click Next.

On the Select server roles page, click Remote Access, and then click Next three times. On the Select role services page, click Direct Access and VPN (RAS), and then click Next.

On the Confirm installation selections page, click Install.

On the Results page, verify Installation succeeded.

MetalMunnA

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
:) will give it another shot tomorrow...

BUT "public" IP address... That is meant local IP right? I can only have 1 public internet IP address (or I would have to make my server act as a gateway/bridge and put it first in my network topology (instead of last, where it is now).

Easy...   :-[

PS: where can I see/modify settings for "vpn"? Which mmc is best?

metalmunna

• SCF Moderators
:) will give it another shot tomorrow...

BUT "public" IP address... That is meant local IP right? I can only have 1 public internet IP address (or I would have to make my server act as a gateway/bridge and put it first in my network topology (instead of last, where it is now).

Easy...  ???

Public IP is called by REAL IP(example: 165.234.4.56) which you will get with your VPS!
Local IP is Private IP(example 3 type: 10.0.0.0, 192.168.0.0, 172.16.0.0). you just need to add one more NIC(without real IP) for the VPS and you can use any private IP from the rage for the internal network.

MetalMunnA

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising