• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42869
  • Total Topics: 16078
  • Online Today: 3640
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: JUST FOR XP HOLDOUTS.  (Read 20339 times)

A41202813GMAIL

• SCF VIP Member
  • XPOCALYPSE FOREVER !
JUST FOR XP HOLDOUTS.
« on: 13. November 2015., 04:54:23 »
XP SAFETY FINE TUNING SETTINGS.

A - Inbuilt XP Firewall.
Check **ALL** Tabs - Do Not Allow Any Exceptions, Whatsoever.
Check It Again Whenever You Update Any Browser.
CHROME And FIREFOX Will Stab You In The Back.

---

B - Auto Starting Programs.

B1 - MSCONFIG.
Some Programs Allow You To Check And Delete Entries.

B2 - Scheduled Tasks.
You Can Delete Entries Yourself.
Check It Again Whenever You Update Any Browser.
OPERA15+ Will Stab You In The Back.

---

C - IE8.
Even If You Do Not Use It Directly, IE8 Will Still Be Used In The Background.

C1 - Disable All Downloads ( 8 Places ) - Top Priority Rule.

C2 - Enable Prompting ( 4 Places ) - Secondary Rule.

---

D - MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN ENTERPRISE 8.8 Version RP5+.

D1 - Check All Unwanted Programs.

D2 - Programs Executed From The Temp And Download Folders.

D21 - Make All Warnings Mandatory ( 4 Places ) - Red Backgrounded Icon On The Lower Right Of Your Screen.

D22 - Disallow All Executions ( 4 Places ).
If Some Software Does Not Install, Allow ( D22 ) Temporarily, But Disallow It Again After The Installation Is Finished.

---

E - Low Tech Security.

E1 - TASKMGR.
After A Brand New XP Installation, Wait 5 Minutes.
Sort The TASKMGR Programs Alphabetically.
Take A Picture With All The Legal Programs Running - It Will Be A Good Future Reference.

E2 - Program Names.
Start In Safe Mode As An Administrator.
Use ZTREE To Change The Names Of All .EXE Files In All Your HDDs.
Create A Lowercase/Uppercase Signature ( There Are 24 Possible Combinations ), So If Some Rogue .EXE Program Is Running, It Will Be Easily Spot With TASKMGR.

---

Repeat ( E2 ) Whenever Any Software Is Updated ( 5 Minutes To Fully Load ZTREE, And, After That, The Same Operation Takes Only A Few Seconds ).

Cheers.

---

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

JUST FOR XP HOLDOUTS.
« on: 13. November 2015., 04:54:23 »

A41202813GMAIL

• SCF VIP Member
  • XPOCALYPSE FOREVER !
JUST FOR XP HOLDOUTS.
« Reply #1 on: 17. March 2016., 06:41:26 »
( From Another Thread )

I Love My Legacy Tech The More And More Each Passing Day.

I Got Blitzkrieged Carpet Bombing Style After APRIL 8, 2014.

I Finally Got A Guy Who Apologized To All Of Us Luddites For Being A Jerk About It, Because The Tables Have Turned On Him, Now.

Stupid Jerks Always Forget That KARMA And PAYBACK Are The 2 Most Inseparable Sisters.

Cheers.

---

A41202813GMAIL

• SCF VIP Member
  • XPOCALYPSE FOREVER !
JUST FOR XP HOLDOUTS.
« Reply #2 on: 22. May 2016., 16:23:49 »
As A Computer Programmer, 50% Of My Time Is Spent Testing Both Hardware And Software.

My First Comment In This Thread Shows That You Can Not Use IE8 In Shady Sites Without Proper AV Settings - Rogue Programs Will Be Downloaded And Executed Past You, In Warp Speed.

I Have Not Used IE8 In Several Months, And With The Addition Of CHROME Extensions That Reproduce The Best IE8 Behavior, I Did Not Need To Use The AV Settings Anymore.

I Have Used The 3 Most Recent Versions Of MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN ENTERPRISE 8.8 - Versions RP5 To RP7.

Although I Use A Dual Core Machine, I Wanted It To Be Even Faster, So I UnInstalled ( Hopefully Forever ) My AV - I Am Just Doing A Test Drive, For The Hell Of It.

If I Fail To Come Here Again, It Is Because Probably I Was Killed In The Line Of Duty.

Wish Me Luck.

Cheers.

jheysen

• SCF Global Moderator
Re: JUST FOR XP HOLDOUTS.
« Reply #3 on: 22. May 2016., 18:03:13 »
You can go with MSSE, it's decent and doesn't suck that much resources from the machine
(You can also go the linux way :p)

A41202813GMAIL

• SCF VIP Member
  • XPOCALYPSE FOREVER !
JUST FOR XP HOLDOUTS.
« Reply #4 on: 22. May 2016., 20:56:26 »
No Matter What AV Company We Are Talking About, All AVs Need Updates On A Regular Basis.

After Seeing All The Pushing And Shoving M$ Has Done With All Their Former OSs, I Will Not Trust Their Software Ever Again - And That Is A Promise.

Using A Site Like PCPARTPICKER ( Thank You, @S ), It Is Possible To Buy The Most ( Personalized ) Modern Hardware ( H ) Capable Of Running Every OS From The Old DOS To The So Called **Latest And Greatest**.

I Know XP Is Not Capable Of Sucking All The Capabilities Of The Modern ( H ), But If DOS Can Run A Lot Faster In A Dual Core Machine Than It Did In The 1995 ( H ), Then Some Modern Sucking Will Always Be Up For Grabs.

If I Prove Myself Wrong, I Can Always Go Back To RP7 - So Far, So Good.

Thank You.

---

JUST FOR XP HOLDOUTS.
« Reply #4 on: 22. May 2016., 20:56:26 »

A41202813GMAIL

• SCF VIP Member
  • XPOCALYPSE FOREVER !
JUST FOR XP HOLDOUTS.
« Reply #5 on: 14. May 2017., 20:24:39 »
@S

Thank You For Your PM.

Please, Next Time, Instead Of A PM, Use Any Old Thread Related With The Subject At Hand - Some Other Stubborn Legacy Lovers ( Besides Me, Are Any Still Left Out There ? ) Will Profit From It, Too.

---

As You Can See From This Thread And Other Ones XP Related:

A - I Will Not Install Any Other OS Related Updates, From M$ Or Otherwise ( The SUMMER Of 2009 Was A WakeUp Call For Me, In That Regard ),

B - 8 Days From Now, It Will Make 1 Whole Year I Stopped Using Any AV Whatsoever - Crazy, Right ? - So Far, So Good, No Virus At All,

C - Reading This Thread ( Regarding Some Crucial Administrator Activity ), I Devised Several Ways To Protect Myself, And I Am Pretty Sure It Is Working, And,

D - If I Have Not Said It Before, I Use Shady Sites Every Single Freaking Day.

Thank You.

---

2017 Is Going To Be An Awesome Fight.

GO, 44 !

---

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
« Reply #6 on: 17. May 2017., 23:48:57 »
@Samker

Thank You For Your PM.

Please, Next Time, Instead Of A PM, Use Any Old Thread Related With The Subject At Hand - Some Other Stubborn Legacy Lovers ( Besides Me, Are Any Still Left Out There ? ) Will Profit From It, Too.

---

As You Can See From This Thread And Other Ones XP Related:

A - I Will Not Install Any Other OS Related Updates, From M$ Or Otherwise ( The SUMMER Of 2009 Was A WakeUp Call For Me, In That Regard ),

B - 8 Days From Now, It Will Make 1 Whole Year I Stopped Using Any AV Whatsoever - Crazy, Right ? - So Far, So Good, No Virus At All,

C - Reading This Thread ( Regarding Some Crucial Administrator Activity ), I Devised Several Ways To Protect Myself, And I Am Pretty Sure It Is Working, And,

D - If I Have Not Said It Before, I Use Shady Sites Every Single Freaking Day.

Thank You.

---

2017 Is Going To Be An Awesome Fight.

GO, 44 !

---

You are Welcome.

However, as You know, information about "surprising" updates for old Windows versions are published here: http://scforum.info/index.php?topic=13305.msg35414#msg35414
Although I have not found a reason to post this info in some old thread, I notify few friends (like you) via PM - all other members have option to automatically receive latest news via subscriptions on SCforum's boards, our Social pages and/or Feedburner newsletters. 

As conclusion, in my personal view, if We saved even one PC on first, second or third way, our mission here at SCforum makes sense and I'm very satisfied with that.

By the way and FYI, because of our work here, We're even attacked by one Hacker group in the past - which failed and because of that they posted fake info in to Zone-H: http://www.zone-h.org/mirror/id/9322147
However, the real truth is here: http://scforum.info/index.php?topic=3081.msg6990#msg6990
They posted few pics as a guest in our (SCforum) old "portal" version, made a screenshot and after that submitted "successful" hack. :D

---

In your case, I would not be so "exclusive and stubborn" regarding updates and AV protection... but that is just my two cents. :-/

---

Yup, it looks that We'll have very interesting season - "44" won Spanish GP, IMO, with "huge luck" and through a pit stops: https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/5/Race_highlights_-_Spain_2017.html
However, congratulations. :thumbsup:

Cheers & cya around,

S.

A41202813GMAIL

• SCF VIP Member
  • XPOCALYPSE FOREVER !
JUST FOR XP HOLDOUTS.
« Reply #7 on: 18. May 2017., 00:06:50 »
I Am Stubborn Because I Despise M$ The More And More For Each Increasing Shenanigan Since The SUMMER Of 2009.

Regarding Security, Read My Recent Post About RansomWare.

---

Lets See What Percentage Of Luck Will Define This Season.

Thank You.

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
« Reply #8 on: 27. May 2017., 22:20:26 »
I respect your opinion... however, IMO, better safe than sorry.

---

I think that We'll watch good race in Monaco tomorrow... Ferrari have pole positions. ;)

cya later,

S.

A41202813GMAIL

• SCF VIP Member
  • XPOCALYPSE FOREVER !
JUST FOR XP HOLDOUTS.
« Reply #9 on: 27. May 2017., 22:51:40 »
As You See, ( Bad/Good ) Luck Can Go At Any Given Direction, At Any Given Time.

GO, 44 !

JUST FOR XP HOLDOUTS.
« Reply #9 on: 27. May 2017., 22:51:40 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising