• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 43032
  • Total Topics: 16217
  • Online Today: 5692
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: Research: Spammers actively harvesting emails from Twitter in real-time  (Read 2434 times)

Pez

• SCF VIP Member
  • Pez
Did you know that Twitter is the new superstore for spammers? Researchers have found that spammers are actively harvesting email addresses that people post on Twitter by searching for terms such as “email me at.” Please “Share” this to help your friends avoid spam.

Summary: Security researchers from WebSense, have conducted an experiment, proving that Twitter is still a heaven for spammers looking to harvest freshly shared email addresses.

Security researchers from WebSense, have conducted an experiment, proving that Twitter is still a heaven for spammers looking to harvest freshly shared email addresses.

More details on the experiment:

We conducted research on how data that might be considered private is exposed via Twitter. The research focused on shared data, in particular email addresses, that can potentially be used against the one (or the organization) that shared it. During the research we monitored Twitter over a 24 hour period and found that users were publicly sharing email addresses connected with their inboxes, social media identities, and bank accounts. This leaves them open to advanced ‘social spear phishing’ attacks and spam campaigns.

Our research found that thousands of Email addresses are publicly shared daily via Twitter.  More than 11,000 email addresses were shared worldwide.

This isn’t the first time that a vendor is aiming to raise awareness on the fact, users sharing their emails publicly, can become targets of successfully crafted spear phishing campaigns.

I little experiment I conducted back in 2009, also provided similar results. Basically, what I did was to measure the trending of words such as “email me at”; or “contact me at”. The results? Thousands of freshly shared emails ready to be harvested by spammers in real-time.

Twitter email harvesters have been in the wild for years, it’s time for Twitter’s users to wake up and realize that the spammers are monitoring Twitter’s global feed, and are successfully harvesting their email addresses.

Read more and links in the orginal article.

Orginal article: By Dancho Danchev | January 20, 2012, 12:20pm PST
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/research-spammers-actively-harvesting-emails-from-twitter-in-real-time/10170
Their is two easy way to configure a system!
Every thing open and every thing closed.
Every thing else is more or less complex.

Start Turfing ! http://scforum.info/index.php/topic,8405.msg21475.html#msg21475

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
Re: Spammers use Twitter to find new e-mail addresses
« Reply #1 on: 31. January 2012., 17:29:37 »

Except this, I also notice few very strange "new" Followers at SCforum's page (of course Spammers): http://twitter.com/SCforum

All of them are girls with very sexy pics and personal messages like "I like to F.ck!" etc.

Few of them: "Junita Matsuno", "Peequinones874", "Belinda Trombitta"... as I see all of them are blocked now.

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

Re: Spammers use Twitter to find new e-mail addresses
« Reply #1 on: 31. January 2012., 17:29:37 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising