• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42939
  • Total Topics: 16139
  • Online Today: 4071
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: Spies may be controlling your web cam (VIDEO)  (Read 4074 times)

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
Spies may be controlling your web cam (VIDEO)
« on: 13. May 2010., 10:44:17 »

Web cameras make it easy to keep in touch with far away friends and family. If you have a web cam on your home computer, laptop or even your cell phone, a hacker can be lurking, just waiting for a chance to gain control.

Right now, hackers are spying on innocent users via their web cam and microphones. It starts with a simple email, link or program sent to you.

"The bad guys go out there and find vulnerabilities in different applications and programs," says Michael Gregg, COO of Superior Solutions Inc.

Once you click on it, your computer is overrun by the hacker's program.

"When the hackers find a problem before its fixed, its called a Zero-Day or IE-Exploit," says Gregg.

The exploit programs can remotely turn on your web cam, watch what you're looking at online; even listen to what you are saying. Even worse, the longer these programs are available to hackers, the easier they are to use.

"Anyone with very little technical stills or knowledge can actually launch these attacks," adds Gregg.

Charles Tendell is a certified ethical hacker. He set up two laptops to explain how it works. One is the "victim" computer, the other is the "spy." The two computers look identical, but as I type on the "victim" PC, every key I type and every word I say is picked up by the "spy." Check Video here: http://www.kdvr.com/videobeta/a23d3ecd-5d48-4c33-bd35-82637bc82e71/News/Is-your-web-cam-spying-on-you-

"I can capture audio, I can capture web cams and I can capture the screen of what they are looking at," says Tendell.

It's like a door left open for hackers. And it's all available via loopholes in Microsoft's program and Internet Explorer. Experts say most PC users don't even know this type of hack exists.

"It's kind of crazy what people can do and how simple it seems to be to do that," says web cam user Mark Ventura.

Network security web cameras are a popular way for people to keep an eye on their home and business when they are away.

"What people don't realize, if those devices are a network device someone can very easily search for them on the web," adds Tendell.

All a hacker needs to know is the type of camera you are using, do a special "inurl" search, and your unprotected web cam image is available for anyone to see - web cams on business, backyards, even baby rooms.

It's a loophole in security that may never be fixed.

"It's the one element of computer security that no one will ever be able to close that's the human element," Tendell says.

I asked Microsoft to comment on the issue of web cam spies, but they did not have an answer.

However, their a few things you can do to keep your computer protected.

1. Make sure your anti-virus is up to date.

2. Pay attention to the links you click on. If you don't know where the link is coming from, don't click on it.

3. If you link up to a network web cam, make sire it is password protected.

4. If you suspect your computer may be infected, there are free tolls like such as Malware Bytes and Avast you can use to scan your PC.

(FOX)

Check also related Topic "Hacking Internet Cameras": http://scforum.info/index.php/topic,1326.0.html

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

Spies may be controlling your web cam (VIDEO)
« on: 13. May 2010., 10:44:17 »

luffy

• SCF Member
Re: Spies may be controlling your web cam (VIDEO)
« Reply #1 on: 13. May 2010., 19:50:48 »
That's why I always cover my webcam when not in use. I personally hate webcam.

didopido

• SCF Newbie
« Reply #2 on: 14. May 2010., 08:08:14 »
I don`t think this is something new. Every recent (and not only) RAT has capability of streaming the web camera of the victim along with dozen of other "spy" stuff. This is just a journalist news to make people say "WHOOOW".

Cheers

hazedaze

• SCF VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: 18. May 2010., 14:04:45 »
nice, I wondered when this might get flagged this happend to someone who's PC I had to "Clean" did you know they can do it with your new fancy Iphone's and HTC's too!!!!

Regds

HD

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

« Reply #3 on: 18. May 2010., 14:04:45 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising