• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42871
  • Total Topics: 16080
  • Online Today: 3899
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: Vista Home Premium - do I need a software Firewall  (Read 10041 times)

doggyofone

• SCF Newbie
Vista Home Premium - do I need a software Firewall
« on: 03. September 2007., 15:51:27 »
I've read through some posts, making a wireless router secure - I have a Datalink DIR 625 and have set up  WPA-PSK on my home system (no MAC) - 5 computers and cable HS. I have a static IP and do use a VPN (sometimes very busy and hard to log into). I have been playing around in Zonealarm and have had some issues with the VPN network. My question is, should I include a software firewall on top of the router. I need to set rules for some IP's so I need a capable program and suggestions are welcome. I have had some issues with Za, and tried PCtools, which basically wouldn't let me into my VPN. 
I have the Comodo beta and wonder if anyone has feedback on it?
Also, I am constantly seeing UDP blocks in Zonealarm on port 1720. Is this something I should expect?

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

Vista Home Premium - do I need a software Firewall
« on: 03. September 2007., 15:51:27 »

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
Re: Vista Home Premium - do I need a software Firewall
« Reply #1 on: 03. September 2007., 18:53:00 »
Yes, I would suggest you to use some (light) FW.

Personaly I also use ZA but only with manual startup. That is because I was (just like you) also have issues with ZA in the past since he doesn't work very well with McAfee AV (which is on my PC's for few years).

ZA is one extremly good FW and maybe you just need to make proper configuration? Maybe I could help you with that?

I don't have any experience with Comodo, we will need here more opinions from our other Members & Visitors?!

Security l33t

• SCF Member
  • SCforum's Security Manager o.0
    • Security Central Forum
« Reply #2 on: 03. September 2007., 18:58:16 »
I've read through some posts, making a wireless router secure - I have a Datalink DIR 625 and have set up  WPA-PSK on my home system (no MAC) - 5 computers and cable HS. I have a static IP and do use a VPN (sometimes very busy and hard to log into). I have been playing around in Zonealarm and have had some issues with the VPN network. My question is, should I include a software firewall on top of the router. I need to set rules for some IP's so I need a capable program and suggestions are welcome. I have had some issues with Za, and tried PCtools, which basically wouldn't let me into my VPN. 
Also, I am constantly seeing UDP blocks in Zonealarm on port 1720. Is this something I should expect?

Woow,, thats alot of questions my friend... basically Zonealarm is a over the average firewalls, so i don't think you have to mess around with it.. try some other auto firewalls which includes what to block & what to not block & if it's an unknown program it will ask you! (Block or Accept)

You'll just have to search around on the internet & see...

And i don't think you shood worry sooo much about security if you have no enemies :P

i think this is set-up pretty good. But as I said you'll have to get an easier firewall.

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 03. September 2007., 19:04:10 »

Woow,, thats alot of questions my friend... basically Zonealarm is a over the average firewalls, so i don't think you have to mess around with it.. try some other auto firewalls which includes what to block & what to not block & if it's an unknown program it will ask you! (Block or Accept)

You'll just have to search around on the internet & see...

And i don't think you shood worry sooo much about security if you have no enemies :P

i think this is set-up pretty good. But as I said you'll have to get an easier firewall.

Security ...

do you have any experience with Comodo?

That's also one of Doggyofone questions?

doggyofone

• SCF Newbie
« Reply #4 on: 03. September 2007., 23:23:11 »
I used Sygate until a new PC and vista. With ZA I'm getting a mess of blocked udp and tcp warnings on my static ip. I do use bittorrent (Azureus) and I'm supposing this was all hidden by Sygate. Not anymore.
My setup is VPN with SecureIX and I have a port forwarded for connectivity. The source tries to come through my static IP and gets blocked by ZA. I would have to allow each in to the "trusted zone" one at a time and there are tons of attempts. There's also a slider Internet security and trusted zone security and I could play with those, but at what security cost?
I've added my port range to the trusted zone, my VPN IP and static IP. Any suggestions are welcome
Samker.
Should I just stick with Windows Vista Firewall?

« Reply #4 on: 03. September 2007., 23:23:11 »

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 04. September 2007., 08:02:44 »
Should I just stick with Windows Vista Firewall?

No!

There's also a slider Internet security and trusted zone security and I could play with those ...

Yes, I would suggest you to "play" with options (but not to much). Every new ZA instalation need some learning time (about 1 week) and after that you shouldn't have problems. For that you also need proper configuration and I'll help you with few tips:

- ZA Firewall setings: add your Local Networks to Trusted Zone and set Trusted Zone to Medium Level. Open Advance settings and just look is there alowed VPN protocols (that should be enabled).

- ZA Program Control: set Program Control to Medium and SmartDefense Advisor to Auto. Most Important: go to Programs tab and manualy set configuration for yours important programs who shows most alerts!

- ZA Alerts & Logs: set Alerts Events Shown to Medium.

When you do this let me give feedback how's going now?

bye,

Samker

doggyofone

• SCF Newbie
« Reply #6 on: 04. September 2007., 12:49:22 »
Under general settings/options there is a way to enable a proxy server with a specific port. Is this what you meant by VPN? I don't see a VPN specific enabler. Are you working with Pro - mine's the freebee? I have set the alerts and logs to medium.

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 04. September 2007., 15:02:20 »
Yes, I use Pro. but think that you also have this option here (not so sure about that):

Firewall options -> Advanced -> General settings -> Allow VPN protocols

Do you have this ?

Bettwen of that how ZA works now (after last settings) ?

doggyofone

• SCF Newbie
« Reply #8 on: 04. September 2007., 17:35:25 »
No, I don't have this option in mine and there is no Vista version for Pro yet.
I haven't had a warning/block since yesterday. I allowed my static IP for trusted, set the allowed to medium In the firewall for Intenet trusted and security and allowed. Seems to have settled down at this point.
Thanks for helping.

Security l33t

• SCF Member
  • SCforum's Security Manager o.0
    • Security Central Forum
« Reply #9 on: 04. September 2007., 19:05:31 »
You're welcome :D

« Reply #9 on: 04. September 2007., 19:05:31 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising