• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42866
  • Total Topics: 16075
  • Online Today: 1580
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: Windows 8.x Mobile: crackheads at microsoft decided NOT to implement PPTP / L2TP  (Read 3059 times)

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
Just had to share my frustration... I lost my Android phone (the Newmann - HORRIBLE phone!) so I thought to treat myself on a new (cheap) phone... I found the Nokia Lumia 640 for euro 115 on amazon.de: brand new, opened box. Great discount!

THE reason to switch from Android to Windows Mobile was that I read in Google search results that Win Mobile can keep VPN connection on ON at all times... EXACTLY what I needed for this phone!!!!!

Today, I tried to connect my VPN only to discover that PPTP/L2TP/OpenVPN is NOT supported, at all! WTF!!!!!

I quote this...
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/5939109-add-more-vpn-types-not-just-ikev2?page=2&per_page=20
KN commented  ·  May 12, 2015 09:13  ·   Flag as inappropriate
Shame, shame, shame Microsoft! Biggest let-down of the decade, w/ no PPTP or any other common VPN protocols, STILL, after all the revisions & updates and buyouts. Even your own Server platforms predominantly run PPTP/L2TP! And heck, even my old Windows 6.5 phone had better VPN connectivity.

Yes, what you have certainly done is cut-off just about anybody with a Windows Phone needing remote access that is ATTAINABLE TODAY, and soured our otherwise "would-be" great Windows Phone experience. Sure, we'll get to IKEv2 in time, when the world's backends are won over and begin to support it widescale. Meanwhile, stop lecturing us on security and start embracing your end-users' reality.

Wake up Windows Phone development team, speak out for us, as I can only imagine such a "fine" choice (to deliberately omit such an essential ingredient) to have been made by managers living in their own imaginary play-world. Is the lack also of any intelligent or definitive response to THOUSANDS OF PLEAS collated in dozens of forums over months and months for this problem a kind of hidden agenda? Or is it just embarrassment now at what would appear to have been an ultimately stupid and incompetent decision?

Or, stop marketing Windows Phone as a Business use device, otherwise, together with a long list of other equally asinine decisions (like omitting to display the Year at all in the Email app!), this venerable phone OS will remain just a toy for recreation and stay-home grand-parents (pun intended)...

There, I think I've vented on behalf of ALL on this and on other forums, and then some :-).

Amen :(

Devvie
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
PS: http://wmpoweruser.com/great-news-windows-10-mobile-now-supports-ptpp-and-sstp-vpn/

But Windows 10 Mobile sucks big balls and is NOT production ready. For real. Very disappointed in that roll-out and it was the first time I rolled back an OS. Ever...! So either I'm getting real old or the Mobile 10 build really is not even beta status worthy... Also, I could not find the "Always ON" option there... Another reason for the fast roll-back.

War ;p
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
Re: ideas for good pranks on April Fools' Day
« Reply #2 on: 31. October 2015., 11:31:08 »
---

THE reason to switch from Android to Windows Mobile was that I read in Google search results that Win Mobile can keep VPN connection on ON at all times... EXACTLY what I needed for this phone!!!!!

Today, I tried to connect my VPN only to discover that PPTP/L2TP/OpenVPN is NOT supported, at all! WTF!!!!!

---

This sounds like a story for "How to Play the Best Pranks on April 1.": http://www.wikihow.com/Play-the-Best-Pranks-on-April-1

Microsoft/Nokia - :down:

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

Re: ideas for good pranks on April Fools' Day
« Reply #2 on: 31. October 2015., 11:31:08 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising