• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42863
  • Total Topics: 16072
  • Online Today: 1353
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: Microsoft Windows Photo Viewer for Windows Server 2016  (Read 11292 times)

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
The things you have to do to be able to view Animated gifs...

Sigh!

DOWNLOAD: https://app.box.com/s/s9a4lrl02mw6b73d5ax2aw2aqgxv7mx9
Extract in Root Folder C:\. After extraction, add the registry files you can now find in C:\*.reg.

SOURCE: http://itvagabonds.com/tutorials/enable-windows-photo-viewer-server-2016

Copy Paste:
Enable Windows Photo Viewer in Server 2016

Submitted by Ben Kistner on Fri, 03/31/2017 - 08:52

Windows Server 2016 has a lot of things disabled out of the box as to improve responsiveness and reliability. One of those things is Windows Photo Viewer. In this quick tutorial, I'll show you how to enable it. Now as you read through this, you might be wondering if there is a way to enable the Photo Viewer with Windows add / remove features or some built-in utility like that, but as much as I searched, I could not find a way to do it from within Windows Server 2016. So this method uses a donor OS. And please, if anyone has a different way of doing this, kindly share your knowledge in a comment below.

1. Copy the Windows Photo Viewer from another PC
First copy the Windows Photo Viewer from a Windows 10 PC. I heard that it won't work if you copy it from a different OS, but I haven't tried it myself. So just to be safe, hop on a Windows 10 PC and copy both of these folders:

C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Photo Viewer\
After that, place them in the exact same directories on the Server 2016 PC. I've also had it happen that I found these folders already in a fresh install of Server 2016. So if you find these folders already there, just proceed to the next step.

2. Download the Registry Entries
Download and open the .reg files below. This will add the needed registry entries to your system's registry.

3. Enable thumbnail view
One last thing that you may want to do is enable thumbnails. All that is required to do that is, open Windows Explorer, go to File > Options > View and uncheck "Always show icons, never thumbnails" then hit OK.

That's it! Let me know if you had any problems in the comments below.

UPDATED:

I was annoyed by not being able to open PNGs due to the extension not being specified in the registry entries, so I fixed it... All I had to do was open the PhotoViewer.jpeg.reg file with Notepad++ and find "jpeg" then replace it with "png". I think there were 34 instances of this, but then I saved it as PhotoViewer.png.reg and extracted it to the registry. Then I uploaded it here for all of you! I'm assuming the find and replace method will work for just about any image file type.
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

jheysen

• SCF Global Moderator
Re: Microsoft Windows Photo Viewer for Windows Server 2016
« Reply #1 on: 09. July 2017., 04:08:48 »
It does not come with the Desktop Experience Role?

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
« Reply #2 on: 11. July 2017., 18:42:00 »
I tried that the first round around and immediately had errors when logging in. So I'm rather careful this time around :/

Also, the solution didn't really work for me :/
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO  j.gs/7385484/btc

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist http://goo.gl/n1ONa9

jheysen

• SCF Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 11. July 2017., 19:31:02 »
Ok... this is weird :/
Anyway, you can install Infranview to open images in the meanwhile. But it worries me that installing the official Desktop Experience Role gave you errors :/

devnullius

• SCF VIP Member
    • SCForum.info
« Reply #4 on: 12. July 2017., 22:20:56 »
Ok... this is weird :/
Anyway, you can install Infranview to open images in the meanwhile. But it worries me that installing the official Desktop Experience Role gave you errors :/
I must admit... Maybe I'm getting older... But Windows Server 2012 & 2016 worry me a lot too : (

« Reply #4 on: 12. July 2017., 22:20:56 »

jheysen

• SCF Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 13. July 2017., 02:44:09 »
Looks like a recurring issue with first release Windows Server, I remember everything exploding with Windows Server 2003, and then R2 fixing everything. So far no issues with 2012 R2 too, but I can't compare with 2012 since I havent touched it, just 2008 and hated it

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
« Reply #6 on: 14. August 2017., 20:37:41 »
---

Anyway, you can install Infranview to open images in the meanwhile.

---

I believe that you think on IrfanView: http://scforum.info/index.php?topic=702.0 , one of my favorite App. :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 14. August 2017., 20:37:41 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising