• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42939
  • Total Topics: 16139
  • Online Today: 4071
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: txt-password file randomly appeared on desktop! A blank appeared in ControlPanel  (Read 5258 times)

hradford

• SCF Newbie
Hey guys

A bit of a worry - at 6:30pm tonight I left to go out to sports, at approx 10:30pm I have a new file on my desktop called txt-password. It's a GIF file, but is connected to open with Internet Explorer (ARGH!!!)

I've made it read only, and changed the name of it - neither of which will probably help but puts my mind at ease a little bit.

Also now I notice that my mother (who is connected to the same broadband network box thing) has an unreadable file in her Control Panel section. She can't even view the properties on it, all it lets her do is either cut, create shortcut (which then says the disk is full) or delete.

Am I right to guess this is some sort of virus? Are we screwed??? :o

Oh and I have to confess unlike the majority of people we only have minimal and probably outdated Anti-virus things on our computers. Have a firewall (not sure if that helps, but its at a pretty strong setting).

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
Hi Hradford,

Don't worry we will check both PCs, now please try to follow next instruction se we can do that son as possible:

1. Provide us all possible details related to yours problems / infection.

2. Run Kaspersky Online AntiVirus Scan: http://scforum.info/index.php/topic,734.0.html

3. Download & run HijackThis: http://scforum.info/index.php/topic,785.0.html

4. Provide us logs from HijackThis & AntiVirus Online Scan

We will wait your reply (with logs).

Regards,

SCF Team

P.S.

Don't forget to provide us logs for both PCs (your & mother).

hradford

• SCF Newbie
Thanks for that

Our Internet has been pretty bad for well months now (we are in nz), it keeps cutting out but will try again early next week

In the mean time is there anything that we should do/not do? Eg Banking, Email, Important Documents (will, cv's etc).

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum
In the mean time is there anything that we should do/not do? Eg Banking, Email, Important Documents (will, cv's etc).

Ok, I'll wait your logs in the next week.

And you got a right: don't use credit cards... until we check yours PCs. :police:

Regards to New Zealand from Europe.

S.

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising