• Total Posts: 28021
  • Total Topics: 8050
  • Online Today: 855
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 09:27:49)

Author Topic: windows 8 x64 has problems with command prompt commands (app not found, ...)  (Read 1263 times)

• SCF VIP Member
(removed from:

Copy-Paste Devnullius:
"I use IOBit Start Menu and Search for and elevate start a cmd.exe.

I too cannot start telnet.exe (I Googled for: windows 8 telnet.exe file is in system32 but in cmd command prompt command not found).

I have a similar problem with TFTP.exe. If I explicitly click this one in explorer, a Win 8 error pops up that this App isn't compatible with my version of Windows (8 Enterprise x64).

So I was pretty sure IOBit was at cause, for a reboot did not seem to fix it... *

Testing now confirms: search for cmd.exe with 32 bit start-menu program will start x86 cmd-prompt, and cause all problems.

NOW HOW TO START A x64 COMMAND PROMPT?? FROM: , quote: "Remark: Windows 8 has no Run... option or a Start menu (and Windows 7 users should first enable Run...-option with Menu Properties).

In general, Windows 8 users should first start a search for: run

The Run... command will appear! You can pin it to your task bar now or just start it... I found this information here: .

Also, Windows 8 users could use: Classic Start Menu (tip from:

Then they too will have their Run... option back (ànd a regular start menu)..."

So with a search with a 32 bit start menu program for "run" you can start the "run" command and start "cmd.exe" in 64 bit mode :)

BUT I did NOT test the Classic Start Menu-option... That one might fail? I used IOBit's solution...!

And now, I can finally follow (Dutch) instructions for re-firmwaring my / 2012/03/12 / ziggo-firmware-netgear-wnr3500-v2-vervangen-door-originele-netgear-firmware ;p

Thanks for all expert replies here! Much obliged!

~~~ ~~~

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare
All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the GNU General Public License! – (© 95-1 by Coredump; 2-013 by DevNullius)

* Pretty sure, but not 100% - might have been a sloppy log-off instead of full reboot, might be that I THINK I tested after the reboot and dit not OR even a really long delay of the actual file movementseven after a reboot (before the reboot, explorer would show the files, cmd.exe would not - also not after attrib -s -h -r...) One should test for herself when in doubt!!"
More information about bitcoin, altcoin & crypto in general? GO TO

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare... So why not get the real SCForum employees to help YOUR troubled computer!!! SCF Remote PC Assist

Samker's Computer Forum -

• SCF Global Moderator
Did you add telnet client in Windows Options, right?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters)

Enter your email address to receive daily email with ' - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising