• Total Members: 14176
  • Latest: toxxxa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42869
  • Total Topics: 16078
  • Online Today: 3842
  • Online Ever: 51419
  • (01. January 2010., 10:27:49)

Author Topic: Is it worth it to invest in virtualization management?  (Read 18987 times)

Samker

• SCF Administrator
  • Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    • SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum

There is certainly a continuing trend towards the use of virtualized environments. This might be because it is a cost-effective way to do business, but there also seems to be some kind of industry cache in using tools that are being continually hyped. It is no wonder, then, that so many IT professionals are starting to demand the tools necessary to deal with these environments. Virtualization management software might be able to go a long way towards actually fixing some of the more common problems, but the idea of investing in a new management suite can also be troubling for some.

As companies continue to invest in virtual tools, it seems likely that actually investing in virtualization management is a reasonable idea. After all, consider the amount of money that can be saved simply by allowing IT staff to do something as simple as being able to gather relevant statistics about cloud infrastructure. It might be a fine idea for those in management to simply assume that everything will work out just fine because the technology is supposedly so wonderful, but even giving the actual IT staff the ability to get the raw data from the new system is more useful for reducing downtime than any investment in another cloud product.

Is virtualization management perfect? Probably not. Everyone in the industry is quite familiar with the downsides of using any kind of virtual infrastructure, and there is nothing that says a particular management program is going to solve every problem magically. It does seem like a wise investment, though, for when something does inevitably go wrong. It is hard to determine a time in which having another management tool would not be particularly useful, though it is probably safe to say that only those management programs that actually offer a full suite of useful tools are worth the investment.

Samker's Computer Forum - SCforum.info

mikey

• SCF VIP Member
  • Predator
Re: Is it worth it to invest in virtualization management?
« Reply #1 on: 02. May 2012., 15:35:32 »
My bread and butter has always been the SOHO/VPN/intranet portal types. But now, so many want various SaaS services available from a common VPS account. So we're using a hybrid environment...RightScale/Equinix. As for sec, IMO, Cloud services are just like any other web services...they need to be managed by competent admin/techs. Today, we even use Cloud service for backups. We actually use it to mirror all domains/all appliances to another DC 250 miles apart(Dallas/Houston).

BTW Anyone here going to Interop next week?

Samker

• SCF Administrator

BTW Anyone here going to Interop next week?

Unfortunately NO, it's to expensive (registration pricing and information: http://www.interop.com/lasvegas/registration/ ) and to far away from me...  :(

What about you Mike, did you have plans to visit Interop??

By the way, "Speakers List" is great: http://www.interop.com/lasvegas/2012/speaker-list/

mikey

• SCF VIP Member
  • Predator
« Reply #3 on: 04. May 2012., 04:10:23 »
Was thinking about it. :)

I got an invite for us to tag along with some folks. Been a long time since I've been to Vegas. Would be fun...charter flight and lodging included with the invite. Unfortunately, even tho semi-retired, I just have to much stuff going on including a home remodel that is now into it's second year. I wasn't even able to decide till nearly the last minute. :)

Seems to me that what we do today isn't so much different from what it has always been. Hasn't sharing a host always been about managing some kind of containers? I really would like to have gone with them. Oh well...

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 06. May 2012., 21:29:05 »

Been a long time since I've been to Vegas. Would be fun...charter flight and lodging included with the invite.

Definitely, think twice pal...  O0

« Reply #4 on: 06. May 2012., 21:29:05 »

mikey

• SCF VIP Member
  • Predator
« Reply #5 on: 13. May 2012., 04:57:18 »
This guy is usually a good read but I do not understand how anyone could have problems having fun in Vegas;
http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/all-things-interop-part-1

I'm here in Las Vegas wrapping up Interop 2012.  I now understand why Hunter S. Thompson binged on alcohol and narcotics when visiting this town -- you need these substances to create the illusion that this town is the least bit palatable.
...snip...
More tomorrow when I'm far away from this awful place.
???

Samker

• SCF Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 14. May 2012., 21:46:23 »
I'm here in Las Vegas wrapping up Interop 2012.  I now understand why Hunter S. Thompson binged on alcohol and narcotics when visiting this town -- you need these substances to create the illusion that this town is the least bit palatable.
...snip...
More tomorrow when I'm far away from this awful place.

WTF?

It look like that He consume "alcohol and narcotics" before writing this comment. :thumbsdown:

F3RL

• SCF Advanced Member
« Reply #7 on: 30. August 2012., 14:52:16 »
Indeed virtualization is gaining its popularity and more and more enterprises implement it. I have Hyper-V with Windows 7 and several Debian and CentOS VMs hosting project websites for clients, and I must say it does save money (both hardware and electricity bill etc) and management seems more easier -- although this may not be true in some cases.

IMHO it would be a worthwhile investment once management tools become more compatible with variety of OSes and hardwares.
I'm no expert in this subject, my 2 cents.
well? understand ma bad English.

mikey

• SCF VIP Member
  • Predator
« Reply #8 on: 31. August 2012., 03:03:17 »
All the 'Cloud' hype is a little reminiscent of the days when PHP and various db implementations were new...folks couldn't decide if they were happy or overwhelmed. :)

And since so many are affected when you mix in a little incompetence, folks are a bit leery  about sec; http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?/topic/125689-cloud-applications-are-very-vulnerable/

mikey

• SCF VIP Member
  • Predator
« Reply #9 on: 31. August 2012., 19:13:40 »
BTW As a provider today, you have to love all the flexibilities available now.

Example Ref;  http://www.softlayer.com/privateclouds?

EDIT: Makes me think 'old school' clustering techniques might become completely obsolete.

The hosting arena has forever been changed and folks had best come to terms with it or get left behind.

« Reply #9 on: 31. August 2012., 19:13:40 »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Second Anti-Bot trap, type or simply copy-paste below (only the red letters):www.scforum.info:

Enter your email address to receive daily email with 'SCforum.info - Samker's Computer Forum' newest content:

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising